Author Topic: Tennent/Tennant  (Read 7742 times)

Offline mef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tennent/Tennant
« on: Friday 02 July 10 13:02 BST (UK) »
 ???  Hi to all from Melbourne Australia.  I am searching for a Thomas Tennat (Tennent/Tennant) who was married by Banns on 9th August 1813, and Ann Wilson.    Ann Wilson is cited as a Widow, so I dont have any clue as to her maid name.  The marriage solemenisation copy that I have states this was done  in the Chelsea in the County of Middlesex.

They had a child, Alexander Tennent, born 1816 in Battersea, Surrey, England.  This Alexander married a Margaret Jane Brighton.  Alexander Tennent is my G G G Grandfather. 

I would be so grateful to anyone who could assist me with this family in any way.   Thanks in anticipation,  MEF

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tennent/Tennant
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 July 10 14:02 BST (UK) »
what a pity Alexander & Margaret married in 1836 - a year or so later and you would had more details from a Civil Marriage - Father's names and occupations etc.

couldnt spot them as a couple in the 1841 census: but this may well be them in 1851.

When did they or descendants emigrate?

HO107; Piece: 1577; Folio: 138; Page: 2 Battersea - St Johns Road

Alexander Tenant 36 Head of Household born Middx, Chelsea: Bricklayer employing 1 Labourer
Margaret Tenant 34 Wife born Chelsea
Caroline Tenant 10 dau born Battersea
Jane Tenant 8 dau ditto
Harriet Tenant 5 dau ditto
Alexander Tenant 3 son ditto
Thomas Tenant 6 Mo son ditto

Also no luck with Thomas, his Father  :(

Offline mef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 July 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
 :)Thank you for your help.   Alexander Tennent and Margaret came to Australia on the Birmingham  Shipping record shows five children, the youngest being 1 year old. So yes this is them.   The children's names agree with my records as well.    I guess then it is reasonable to say they came to Australia in 1851/52.    Although I have a copy of the shilling records, they do not have a date on them.

I am really trying to find more about Alexander's parents, so if you come across anything, please let me know.

Thanks, again, MEF

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 July 10 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

1841 census HO107 1046/2 folio 17
Bolington Gardens Battersea Surrey
Ellie Tennant 25 Lab. Born Surrey
Margarett Tennant 20 born Surrey
Caroline Tennant 9 Months born Surrey
Adult ages, those over 15, are usually rounded down to the nearest 5 on the 1841 census.

The yes born in the county on the 1841 census can often be inaccurate so Alexander's birthplace given on the 1851 census of Chelsea Middlesex is likely to be more accurate particularly since that is where Thomas and Ann Wilson married.

Does Alexander's Australian death certificate not specify who his parents were and therefore Ann's maiden name?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 July 10 14:35 BST (UK) »
 ??? Thank you for reply.   I dont think this is accurate for a couple of reasons.  One the place.  Two the names of children.  But will keep it for reference if I cant find proof for my other research.

Thanks  MEF

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 July 10 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

Both censuses 1841 and 1851 or just the 1841 census? If you accept the 1851 census then the 1841 census goes with it. Caroline the child aged 10 on the 1851 census gives her birthplace as Battersea which is where the 1841 census was and where the family still were in 1851. Caroline's mother was called Margaret who was aged 20 on the 1841 census (ages rounded down to the nearest 5 on that census) which fits to an age of 34 in 1851. The census enumerator has obviously made a mess of the name Alex (ander) but again his age fits to Alexander's in 1851 -25 in 1841 and in 1851- 36. The next child born on the 1851 census was Jane aged 8 so she wouldn't be in the 1841 census.

As far as the 1841 census goes there was a general belief that the census was a way of gathering data for the poor law and that people might in consequence end up being sent back to their place of birth. This could be the reason, as well as a hazy knowledge of county geography, that many people gave yes to the county of birth question, claiming they were born in the county, when later censuses showed they were not.

St Mary, Battersea 18th October 1836 born 10th October
Elizabeth Jane Tenant parents Alexander and Margaret Jane, Battersea, father's occupation labourer
buried at the same church 11th December 1837 aged 14 months Elizabeth Tenant

same church
9th September 1840 born same day
Caroline Tennant parents Alexander and Margaret, Battersea, father's occupation labourer

14th January 1844 born 25th November 1843
Jane Tennant parents Alexander and Margaret, Battersea, father's occupation labourer

19th April 1846 born 26th March
Harriet Tennant parents Alexander and Margaret Jane, Battersea, father's occupation labourer

1st April 1849 born 5th June 1848
Alexander Tennant parents Alexander and Margaret Jane, Battersea, father's occupation labourer
buried 12th July aged 3 1851

13th October 1850 born 23rd September
Thomas Tennant parents Alexander and Margaret, Battersea, father's occupation bricklayer

27th November 1853 born 27th September
Henry Tennent parents Alexander and Margaret, Battersea, father's occupation bricklayer

Does Alexander's Australian death certificate not specify who his parents were and therefore Ann's maiden name?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 July 10 19:51 BST (UK) »
   Alexander Tennat
   Baptised
   10 Nov 1816
s/o Thomas &  Agnes
St Luke, Chelsea
Date:   10 Nov 1816
Thomas was a shoemaker
it does give an address for Thomas & co. but i cannot read it clearly
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 July 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
just to add for interest there was also 2 BRIGHTON children bp. on the same page Mary Ann b. 1813 & Edward James presumably born 1816 children of Martin James & Elizabeth, Martin was a labourer and they lived at paradise walk.

N.B. i think Thomas Tenat lived at Jews Row
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 July 10 20:04 BST (UK) »
looking at the marriage (transcribed as Senant)
9th AUg 1813
Thomas Tennat Bachelor OTP and Ann Wilson widow By Banns at St Luke Chelsea
by John Rush curate
x the marl of T Tennat
x the mark of A Wilson
wits: John ..... and John Baker (both signed)

now the next marriage on the same day and same page and same church is that of said John Baker bachelor to Rebecca Grantham spinster
JOhn Signed and Rebecca made her mark
witnesses at this wedding were JOhn ........ of before and C Goodyes ??   

so they may be of relevance of just someone who was witness for them on the day