Author Topic: Tennent/Tennant  (Read 7740 times)

Offline mef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tennent/Tennant
« Reply #27 on: Monday 12 July 10 07:29 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much, to all, but particularly Valda and Toni, for helping me.  I really do appreciate everything you have done and will now go about trying to find out the birth and marriages (plural) for Ann/Agnes to complete her details.

Now I know I am pushing it, but where could there be any further information backwards for Thomas.  We have his marriage (1813) and death (1818) and age at death ....now to see if I can find where he was born etc.   Will start with Battersea, and see how I go.     

How I wish in those days people didnt spell phonetically tho!!!!

Cheers, MEF

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 July 10 09:49 BST (UK) »
Ages at death can vary from what age the actual person was, the only true person to now how old he / she is the deceased so the informant will give what age they think the deceased was.   People didn’t keep track of their age as we do these days However it would be very unusual for someone to say the person was 40 when they were 70 and vice versa so 40 is a good starting point. Thus making him born circa 1778 so he would be around the same age as Ann / Agnes.
He was OTP of Chelsea when he married in 1813 this does not mean he was born there it simply means he had lived there for at least 3 weeks prior to the marriage. If Ann / Agnes was not of the parish banns would also have to be read at her home parish church.
Thomas was a shoemaker and lived in Jews Row (in 1816 & 1818) I wonder if there are any directories that may help locate him.
I don’t know other ways to locate him he could have been born literally anywhere and we have no idea of his parents names or siblings as they were not witness to his marriage.
I personally thought Tenant was a Scottish name but I may be (and probably am) wrong!
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 12 July 10 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Will start with Battersea, and see how I go.

Both Thomas Tennant's marriage and death were in Chelsea Middlesex. Any family connection with Battersea Surrey was later - earliest date seems to be in the 1830s.

Thomas could have been born anywhere. Many people were and are attracted to London for the job opportunities.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dee48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi just found your post here, Alexander Tennant is my ggg grandfather. I to have not got any further than Alexander and that of his parents names. I think somewhere i had agnes as agnes heslop. parents william  heslop and margaret horle. not sure who i got the info from and not sure if ever confirmed.

mary ann brighton, margaret jane's sister married william elliott.
There son William Elliott married Jane Tennant in collingwood victoria Australia. they are my g g grandparents

I think most of what's posted fits this family. great work  :)

Offline mef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hello, and thanks for your posting.    I have also some stuff on Elliott family, and have addresses of some researching this part of the family.  If you would like to email me off site I will happily share these addresses with you.   I am pretty confident that what I have is correct, but will have a look at the Heslop name.   I have a copy of Thomas and Ann (Wilson) marriage banns, but as she is listed as a widow, then her maiden name could have been Heslop?   Love to keep in touch, Marg
* is my email address.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.