Author Topic: Tennent/Tennant  (Read 7739 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tennent/Tennant
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 July 10 20:14 BST (UK) »
and Thomas Tennett of Jews Row was buried on 27 Feb 1818 aged 40 at St Lukes Chelsea
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 July 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
15 Jan 1819
Agnes Tennant Widow OTP (St Mary Lambeth)
married
John Hughes Bachelor OTP 
by banns
by Arthur Gibson Curate
x the mark of John Hughes
x the mark of Agnes Tennant

in the presence of
Jas Longman Gawder (really not sure of this surname it could be the  same as witness to John Baker marriage from before)
John Linger

could someone please check the names i cannot read clearly
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 July 10 20:26 BST (UK) »
finally as this is a different parish and i expect there were loads of John Hughes and AGnes this bp. may not be relevant

12 Dec 1819
Susanna
d/o John & Agnes Hughes of Marylebone

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 July 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
:)Thank you for your help.   Alexander Tennent and Margaret came to Australia on the Birmingham  Shipping record shows five children, the youngest being 1 year old. So yes this is them.   The children's names agree with my records as well.    I guess then it is reasonable to say they came to Australia in 1851/52.    Although I have a copy of the shilling records, they do not have a date on them.

Hi MEF. You don't sound too sure about the details.

Alexander and Margaret arrived in Portland on 6 January 1855 on board the Birmingham. Port of departure: Plymouth.

Children with them were Caroline (14), Jane (10), Harriet (8 ), Thomas (3) and Henry (1).

No sign of their son, Alexander.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 July 10 22:04 BST (UK) »

No sign of their son, Alexander.

Dave
1st April 1849 born 5th June 1848
Alexander Tennant parents Alexander and Margaret Jane, Battersea, father's occupation labourer
buried 12th July aged 3 1851

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 July 10 00:11 BST (UK) »
snip

in the presence of
Jas Longman Gawder (really not sure of this surname it could be the  same as witness to John Baker marriage from before)
John Linger 

The witness was James Longman GAWLER. He must have been one of the professional witnesses I think as I have seen him a number of times on St Mary Lambeth marriages at that time.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 July 10 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

A possible Agnes

1851 census HO107 1577 folio 61
1 Phoenix Wharf Battersea
Agnes Hughes 73 Head Widow Scotland
Agnes Watkins 40 Daughter Widow Warehousewoman Woodbridge Suffolk (on the 1871 and 1881 censuses states birthplace as Battersea and then Scotland)
William Watkins 16 Grandson Plasterer's Labourer Braintree Essex
Susannah Watkins 14 Granddaughter Day servant Battersea Surrey
Ann Elizabeth Hughes 13 Granddaughter Battersea Surrey

In 1841 a few households away from the Tennant family

1841 census HO107 1046/2 folio 17
Bollington Gardens Battersea Surrey
Agnes Hughes 60
Ane Hughes 4
Agnes Watkins 30
William Watkins 7
Susannah Watkins 5
all born Surrey

St Mary, Battersea Wandsworth 29th May 1851
Agnes Hughes aged 75, Battersea

This John may or may not be connected because there are other Hughes being buried in Battersea

St Mary, Battersea Wandsworth 30th May 1837 
John Hughes aged 72, Battersea

Susan/Susannah Watkins on her marriage to William Baker in Battersea in 1855 gave her father's details as John Watkins, Labourer

It could be possible that Agnes Watkins maiden name was Wilson. Agnes as a name was more popular in Scotland than England and it can sometimes appear as Ann so that doesn't rule out the 1813 marriage in Chelsea.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 July 10 13:57 BST (UK) »
WOW, what a great response to my initial posting.   Some of the information jells with mine, and some I will have to sift through, but I am very grateful to you, and others who responded.   Many thanks, MEF

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 July 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian can you check the witness on the JOhn Baker marriage to see who he was please

Mef, i think that Agnes and Ann are the same person and as Valda says Ann is a diminitive form of Agnes more commonly used in Scotland at this period, it is also a name in its own right.
so although she married using the name Ann when she bp. Alexander she used the name Agnes as she did when she married John Hughes
hopefully that is Agnes that Valda has found in 1841 & 1851 i have to say it very much looks like it. Agnes would have had to marry pretty quickly after Thomas death to enable her to provide for her child/ren unless she found an occupation which allowed her to take Alexander with her.
its worth checking up on Agnes Watkins to see if her maiden name was Hughes.  :)