Author Topic: Shortall - Sir Patrick  (Read 29639 times)

Offline DubbLinn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shortall - Sir Patrick
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 10 October 10 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting. There is a lot of information there which fills in some gaps in the Shortall family history.
One nugget of information is the name given to Sir Pats house on St. Laurences Road as "Frankford" Frankford is a place name in Co. Kilkenny. This could be the birthplace of Sir Pats father James.

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 10 October 10 18:01 BST (UK) »
The Irish Times contains but one entry for Patrick Shortall in York Street at No.42,namely the birth of a child on 25th July 1900.

Regards   Quaxer

Offline Kilrory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 10 October 10 19:29 BST (UK) »
Dubblinn,
It would be interesting if the house name gave information on where in Kilkenny his father came from.
I attach an obituary from the Irish Builder that I came across somehow some time ago - I don't remember how now.
Also, I got a copy from the National Library of an election flier from 1910 "To the Electors of the Rotunda Ward". I expect there are NLI copyright issues but I could send you a copy if you were interested.
PJS

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 10 October 10 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hello  Kilrory,

What a wealth of information you have provided!  Thank you very much indeed.

I know now that my great aunt Polly died of cancer, and that the suicide story told me by my late aunt is unfounded.  That is a relief.  Also it disposes of any injustice to Pat Shortall, and that has to be good.

You have also furnished with information about my great grandfather - my grandmother's father - Patrick Coyle, confirming that he was still living in 1914, and that he died before 1923 [his year of birth was 1847.]

And we now know where Pat Shortall moved to when he left Hardwicke Street: St. Laurence's Road, Clontarf.

I am still in the dark about the lady who lived at this address in 1922 and called herself 'Lady Shortall', as reported by Quaxer, as there is no indication that Pat remarried after Polly's death.  Does anyone have any ideas?

David

Offline DubbLinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 11 October 10 00:46 BST (UK) »
Sir Pat must have descendants still living in Dublin, but I don't know for certain as to who or where. Trying to trace one of them might be a good idea?

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 11 October 10 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hello again Dubblinn,

Initially that seems like a good idea, but family lore was that the offspring emigrated to (possibly) Canada.  There was a posting shat showed some Shortall males went to Detroit, which is almost Canada - if you check back you will see it - however the dates seem not quite right.  So, there well may be Shortall descendants in Ireland/Dublin.

My problem is this, I am not sure how I would react if someone from another branch of the family, one connected only through marriage even, were to make contact with me.  As far as any Shortalls would be concerned, our point of juncture would be my great grandfather, Polly's father.  So there is, even at my generation, a wide gap in the branches of the tree.

I think that the main reason I would want to make such a contact would be to find out more about Polly, my great aunt, and perhaps let them have a copy of the photos of her, and the one of her and Pat.  But then, they might not be interested...    Genealogy is not everyone's cup of tea.

Besides, I would have to check the RootsChat rules on this.

All the same, thank you very much for for your suggestion.  I will certainly bear it in mind, and may act on it at a later stage.

Offline marieac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 19 February 11 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone have any information on Sir Patrick Shortall and his wife (my Great Aunt) Mary (Polly).  I don't have very much information on him, but here are the snippets from my recollection of the very rare references among the grown ups, when I was a child. 

You will see why there were so few references

• He lived at 47 Hardwicke Street, Dublin.
      He was a local politician, scheduled to be next Unionist Lord Mayor of Dublin, but Sinn Fein swept the boards in 1918
      He was a womaniser, which led to Polly's suicide.  This knowledge came to me from Polly's niece shortly before she (the niece) died
      Polly and Patrick had sons who may have emigrated to Canada[
      [li]

If anyone can provide any information, or suggest any lines to follow, I would be most grateful.

Xotan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 19 February 11 12:09 GMT (UK) »
hi marieac...

just wondering if something went wrong when you were trying to reply, as your message only contains a quote of xotan's earlier message and seem to be missing your response.

To respond to this thread just click the reply button below (looks like this = ) and enter your query or response

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline betty225

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 13 March 11 17:17 GMT (UK) »
hi my mother is niece of sir patrick his brother mathew is her father my grandfather i have been at the grave many times,never new there was so much interest in my mothers family,