Author Topic: Shortall - Sir Patrick  (Read 29675 times)

Offline betty225

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shortall - Sir Patrick
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 13 March 11 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Sir Pat must have descendants still living in Dublin, but I don't know for certain as to who or where. Trying to trace one of them might be a good idea?
[hi  sr patrick is my mams uncel my mam is joan kinsella nee shortall mathew pats brother was her dad my grand dad xx /quote]

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Betty 225,

As you will see from this thread, Sir Patrick Shortall's wife Mary (Polly) was the sister of my paternal grandmother.

I suppose that this makes us some kind of cousins by marriage, so nice to meet you here!

My grandmother lived next door to the Shortalls.  She lived at 46 Hardwicke Street.  Her maiden name (and Polly's) was Coyle.  their father, Patrick Coyle came from Westmeath (can't say exact location) and seems to have been a haulier of some kind.  He survived Polly.

If you have any other details/information or photos, I would be happy to learn it.  Please feel free to PM me.

Regards,

David.

Offline betty225

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 18 March 11 00:23 GMT (UK) »
hi David
i just know that mathew was my mothers father and sir patrick his brother and i know were the grave is as i have been to it many times sir patricks son is not in that grave my mother told me anyway,there would be other relatives as matthew shortall was a widow when he met my grand mother and he had other children Marcella (known as Irelands grace fields) Matty and not sure of the others but they lived near whitefryer st church they would have had children so there are more of us out there!

Offline marieac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 20:35 GMT (UK) »
shanew147

Thank you for you advice and aplogies for the delay in getting back to you.  (I AM a novice and was just trying to get the 'hang of  things').

My main thread is with Xotan and I will pass on my information to him and do hope that some of it might be of interest to you.

Regards,
Marieac

Offline marieac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 21:07 GMT (UK) »

Xotan,

Hello to you!  I think we have something interesting in common! Firstly, I have to warn you that I am a complete beginner in the realms of geanology and continue to be amazed by the internet's powers!

Just for starters!  My Grandmother was Ellen Coyle, Mary (Polly) Coyle's sister. They actually lived in number 15 Hardwicke Street (not next door to the Shorthalls).

Ellen married John Patrick Mulcahy from Tipperary and my father John Patrick was the eldest of their five children.  Ellen and Mary were friends.  Mary attended the death of Ellen's youngest child Elizabeth in 1911.  She died shortly after the 1911 census from dyphteria, aged 3 and a half.  I have a book  (The Tales of Hans C. Andersen) inscribed by Mary - a present to my father. It reads "to my nephew John from his fond Aunt Polly"/dated 1909.

I know the Shorthall grave in Glasnevin and I visit it irregularly. When I was very young my father mentioned it to me. Retrospectively, I  realise this was very important to him because ... his father died at the age of 40 in 1909 and Sir Patrick gave my grandmother the plot next to the Shorthall grave.  Both my paternal grandparents are buried there John Patrick Mulcahy, Ellen Mulcahy (nee Coyle) Polly's sister and two of their children Elizabeth, the baby I mentioned above and Patrick. 

I know very little (virtually nothing) about the Coyles, only snippets. I learned from a taxi driver in the late 1970's that their home was a 'musical' house.

Best Regards,

Marieac (Colette)

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 24 March 11 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marieac/Colette,

Nice to hear from you.  I believe that we are cousins - 2nd cousins, if I have it right.  Ellen Coyle (Mulcahy)'s mother is our common greatgrandmother.  Her name was Elizabeth and she was married to Patrick Coyle from Westmeath who was a kind of haulier.  He was born in the 1840s.  I can check on the date and let you know in due course.

Apart from Ellen they had other children: Elizabeth Ann (my grandmother), Lilian and Mary (Polly).  This is not in age sequence as I have no idea when they were born, apart from Elizabeth (1875).  There seems to have been another sister, if I read a photograph correctly.  There was also one boy in the family, Patrick, usually known as Pap.

The Coyles had land 'in the north of the county'.  This apparently was the area now known as Cremore.  Here there were two dairy farms.  Behind Hardwicke Street, on the south side, there were some lanes with small cottages, and it was here that the dairy yard was situated.

There was a very nasty situation in the family over inheritance.  The land was left to Pap.  Presumably it was expected that the girls would marry and their husbands would look after them.  However, they conspired to cut Pap out of their lives altogether.  It seems they made some kind of pact to stick together on this.  However when Ellie (Ellen) and Elizabeth Ann softened their stance and resumed normal contact with their brother, Lilian held firm.  This led to another nastiness.  My grandmother never spoke again to her sister, although Lilian lived mere paces away in Dorset Street.  This lasted for over 60 years.  It is singularly unpleasant, and continued into the Monks line where similar situations were not unknown.

Polly, as you know, died in 1914.  Elizabeth Ann on 28 Feb 1960.  I have no information on Ellie or Lilian, except that Lilian lived beyond 1960.  I kick myself that I did not have the interest or knowledge then to get in contact with her.  A lot of valuable family history will have died with her.  I do know that she married.  The joke was that she changed only one letter of her name - from Coyle to Coyne.  Do you know if she had any family?  If so, they would be our cousins. 

I met Ellie on one occasion when she was visiting my grandmother in 46 Hardwicke Street.  I remember her as a lady dressing in black, good carriage, although she was using a cane.  Perhaps it was just an accessory...  She lived in Connacht Street, in Phibsborough.  Apart from the child who died young, she had at least two others - two sons, Patrick and James.  I have the vaguest recollection of being with my mother, grandmother Eliz. Ann and the wife of one of the Mulcahy sons in the Phoenix Park.  I fell on some steps and this rather grand lady put a sticking plaster on the abrasion that I had sustained.  That is the total of my information on the Mulcahy family.  Obviously I would be delighted to learn more, especially dates of birth/death/marriages etc.

I think I have dates of death for our Coyle greatgrandparents.  I think Patrick would have died about 1920.  G.grandmother Eliabeth I think would have died before then.  There is no mention of her being present at Polly's funeral in 1914.  By any

Pap married a lady called Johanna.  I have no further information on him.

The taxi driver was correct about the musical house.  Elizabeth Ann played piano, organ and violin, and she had soirées Sunday afternoon/evenings.  I have inherited that love of music, although I never managed to learn the violin.

Eliz. Ann's husband was Peter Monks who had a cabinetmaking business in Little Denmark Street (covered now by the Ilac Centre).  He died in 1929 so I never met him, being born in the 1940s.

If you like, you can PM me.  My material on the family is in a state of disarray at present because I am having the family tree drawn up.  I will start rearranging the documents and getting them into coherent sequence again.

In the meanwhile I can tell you that you have other cousins in my family line, one of whom comes here from time to time.  But I will not go into this on the open board.

I am delighted to meet you here.  Perhaps when I am next in Ireland we can meet and show each other the material we have on the family.  I would also be very happy to get to know you in a more personal way than on the Rootschat board.

Xotan/Cousin David

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 24 March 11 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Marieac,

Here is a photo of our G.grandmother with her daughters.  It was taken in the Isle of Man circa 1895.

Also a photo of Elizabeth Ann's grave.

Offline marieac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 25 March 11 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Good morning David,

Thanks you for your wonderful reply;

You sent me a second message - a PM(?) I glanced at it and then it 'disappeared'!  Perhaps it was finger trouble with me. As I am not familiar with the workings and rules of Roots Chat, please send the personal contents again - I am most anxious to continue corresponding with you.

Both photographs arrived! Thank you!

To see my great grandmother was quite a shock, in a way. I never ever considered I would find out anything about her at this stage of my life.  Which of the girls is Ellen as I think Polly is top left (?) and of course which 'gal' is your grandmother? 

Ellen is buried in the Mulcahy plot beside the Shorthalls and she died in December 1963 aged 92.

I am travelling down the country to day to Wexford and I will therefore not be on line again until Sunday evening.  I hope you have a happy weekend;  I look forward to your details.

Slan,
Colette your cousin!

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 25 March 11 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cousin Colette (I like saying that!),

Re the photo, I reckon that the names relate to position like this

Elizabeth Ann          Gt.grandmother Elizabeth              ???????

Christine (Lil)            Ellen                                               Polly

Of course, I cannot be sure of this, except for Elizabeth Ann.  I could not mistake her.

Also, I have sent by PM some other information about the Coyle burials.  Not all on the list I received from another cousin have been accounted for, so there is obviously another grave to be located.  Most significant on the 'missing' list is greatgrandmother!  Another point to bear in mind is that the graves may have inscriptions that could provide invaluable information.

There are no headstones on the graves on either side of Polly's, as I recall.  However, if you are making a trip to Glasnevin, please advise me in advance in case I have any further information.  I have let you have the grave reference for the one Coyle grave of which I am sure.

Regards

David