Author Topic: Shortall - Sir Patrick  (Read 29681 times)

Offline DubbLinn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shortall - Sir Patrick
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
hi David
i just know that mathew was my mothers father and sir patrick his brother and i know were the grave is as i have been to it many times sir patricks son is not in that grave my mother told me anyway,there would be other relatives as matthew shortall was a widow when he met my grand mother and he had other children Marcella (known as Irelands grace fields) Matty and not sure of the others but they lived near whitefryer st church they would have had children so there are more of us out there!

Hi Betty225,

Sorry for not replying sooner but I did not get any notification email of your post.

I am a grandson of Matthew Shortall (brother to Sir Patrick). Matthew was Born 1887. Married to Alice O'Gorman Nov 1909. Both buried in Deansgrange Cemetry. I don't have any information on his second marriage (as a widower), any more information about his second family would be welcome?
From his 1st marriage he had 2 daughters Marcella and Alice, and 4 sons: Edward (Eddy), Matthew (Matty), Andrew (Andy) and Henry (Harry). Andy is my father. In the photo here-
http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s343/DubbLinn/Sir%20Patrick/Dad_Grandad_Harry1.jpg  are left to right, Andy, Grandad Matthew and Uncle Harry.
You are correct about where they lived, "near whitefryer st church" I believe the address was in Aungier Street, but they also lived elswhere in Dublin, eg.1911 Census: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Mountjoy/Enaville_Terrace/23355/

Offline DubbLinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 23:39 BST (UK) »
Some more clippings from the Irish Times newspaper concerning Sir Patrick Shortall.

Moderator comment: images removed.  These are probably subject to copyright and may not be reposted here on RootsChat.

OK

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hello DubbLinn,

Thank you for so generously putting up more material on Sir Patrick Shortall.  Every scrap of information fills in another blank in the family history.

I cannot place the Monks that is mentioned in the news clip on the cycling club, I'm afraid, so I will consult with my cousins in Ireland and see if they can make a link to it.  it won't be possible to anything just now as I am going away for a few days on Thursday morning, and my diary for tomorrow is really full.  Anyway, I hope to meet with the Monks Cousins when I am there in September and compare trees and notes.  If anything turns up on my side I will post it here, of course.

I note the very interesting article on the discussion about Ashe.  However, I don't see any mention of Sir Pat.  Perhaps I have missed it?  It's very late here - past 2 am. 

For some reason on previous reading of this thread you descent through a brother of Sir P sailed over my head.  I suppose that makes us some kind of kin though marriage.

All the best, and again thanks!

Offline DubbLinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 01:12 BST (UK) »
Sir Pat is now in the article I simply missed the picture, now corrected. and past my bedtime also :)
Frank

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hello DubbLinn,

I hope you are nicely rested.  I think I managed about 6 hours so I can face the day.

Thank you for including the reference to Sir Patrick Shortall. 

On re-reading the clippings this morning I was fascinated by the very vivid reportage.  At that time nobody could have seen that five years later the British presence would be gone from Dublin, and so there was a fine balancing act being done between dealing with the British representatives and the increasing urgency of the demands of nationalism.  The Lord Mayor and the Aldermen were between the devil and the deep blue sea.  The article also brings out the total lack of appreciation of the situation by the Under Secretary.  It was fortuitous that Sir Bryan Mahon made the decision to stand down the military guard on the City Hall.

Colette, (Marieac) will be delighted to see this material.  She is more closely cued in on the Shortalls than I would be.  She is away at present but I will email her about it and she can read it on her return.

Once again, well done!  And thanks, of course, too.

David.

Do you know, Frank, if any of Sir Patrick's line are still living?

Offline DubbLinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 23:29 BST (UK) »
See post above, moderator has axed the pictures :(
It should be OK to transcribe the text and post here? but it will take a bit of time.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 28 April 11 07:55 BST (UK) »
It might be a good idea to exchange email addresses by Private message. Then you can share recent details, photos etc directly.

Dublin Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 29 April 11 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane for your suggestion.  Much appreciated.

David

Offline DubbLinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 29 April 11 14:01 BST (UK) »
Copyright is a very tricky issue and I dont want to get into any bother with the forum about it. Rootschat have to protect themselves from any legal challenges etc etc. and that is fully understandable.

OK, back to Sir Patrick, I will compile the photos into some order as some are split into many parts to make up a single article. I will try and Photoshop them into a single picture or maybe not as I am not great at using Photoshop. Either way I will let you know how I get on.... ;).
Frank