Author Topic: Has this ever happened to you?  (Read 3507 times)

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
Re: Has this ever happened to you?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 July 10 22:54 BST (UK) »
My friend now wants to know more, what happened to siblings, looking at various marriage lines, looking for distant rellies, etc.

I gave my friend a list of  places to look and some idea of the cost and said,
'That my friend is now your job, I hope you have as much fun and disappointment as I have had over the last 20 years, Good Luck.'

Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline dbath

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Has this ever happened to you?
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 05:10 BST (UK) »
I agree that using the internet has helped my search immeasurably, especially with the research "across the pond" there in England.  While I went to Cornwall to research on a vacation, my wife was extremely generous for only a certain amount of time.  For some reason, she believes that if we spend a lot of money on a vacation, she should actually see the country and not the inside of a records office.  The other thing that I have found is that it provides information that may have been missed before, like the second person who had your ancestor's name born eight months before or after your ancestor.  Now, instead of taking the first person you find and running with it, only to discover your mistake later, you are able to document all of the information and try to determine which person you really belong to before you leave.  I also appreciate finding others with the same family.  While you do have to validate their research methods, this has helped me greatly with my mother's family.  Three of us are working together, with one almost always able to find the information we need.  In this way, we were even able to find some great uncles that left the family in anger and had not been heard of since.
David
BATH - Stithians, Cornwall; HOLMAN, Gwennap, Cornwall; KNOWLES - Cornwall, Devon; REED - Cornwall; CLEGG - Oldham, Lancashire; OGDEN - Oldham, Lancashire; JAMES - Suffolk; REID/REED/READ - Hadleigh, Suffolk; SANDS - Stratford St Mary, Suffolk; TUCKER - Gravesend, Kent;