Author Topic: Keenlyside/Wolens - Blyth - COMPLETED (for now)  (Read 6812 times)

Offline blythian

• RootsChat Extra
  • YOUNG, TAYLOR, HENDERSON, KEENLYSIDE
    • View Profile
Re: Keenlyside/Wolens - Blyth
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 July 10 06:25 BST (UK) »
Michael, Rootschat should make members pay for your services, what a font of information! Thank you so much!

John Wolens is a suprise to me, very sad indeed :(

The Holland reg for Peter is very interesting, all my life it's been said he was from Estonia, we even have letters from his family there dated 1918, though i suppose in 1918 with the end of WW1 etc, it could throw up a red herring, we may have had family stationed there etc. I'll have to do some more digging hehe

Peter died in 1926, which would fit, my Gggrandmother was a widow for a very long time before her death in the late 1950's.

Again, thank you so much Michael, i'm looking forward to telling my gran about this today :D i'll ask for more info on the whereabouts of her shop lol

P.S. Janis, hehehe that would have been an excellent name for her shop, but sadly, she was a Young by then hehe.

Also, being a Bebside/Cowpen lad Michael, do you know the whearabouts of Turners Building, i've been looking on the maps at Northumberland Communities, but they seem to soley focus on the building of Blyth lol

[edit] emmadog, i'll ask my Gran if my Gggrandmother ever spoke of family living in North Blyth :D thanks for the tip :D
Northumberland: Young, Parker, Wolens, Keenlyside, Taylor, Costello
Scotland: Dempster, Henderson, Jackson, M(a)cMillan, M(a)cLanders
Ireland (Co.Mayo): Monaghan, Costello

+ all variations of above names.

Offline Yossarian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Keenlyside/Wolens - Blyth - COMPLETED (for now)
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 July 10 01:39 BST (UK) »
Blythian's gran's wool shop was located on Brierly Road in Cowpen Estate. If you are coming from Albion Way towards the Percy Arms (still the Red House to me) you will see that the current Nisa store and the neighbouring bookie's are joined by an expanse of brickwork. This part in the middle used to be a shop facade with a huge plate window. It was called The Wool Shop and it had a sign of red lettering on a white background.

Back in those days the Nisa was the Co-op and the bookie's was a launderette.

Offline gayliz

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Keenlyside/Wolens - Blyth - COMPLETED (for now)
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 November 10 18:45 GMT (UK) »
hi, i think the Thomas Henry Wolens you've mentioned could possibly be my husbands grandfather. The family was originally from Northumberland before moving firstly to Leicestershire and then onto Warwickshire.       
                                    Gail x