Author Topic: Newspaper look up if possible  (Read 2945 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newspaper look up if possible
« on: Saturday 03 July 10 08:48 BST (UK) »
Can anybody give me advice on whether the newspapers for Edmonton and Vancouver are available to access for the periods 1968 Edmonton and 1968/69 Vancouver.   

I am looking for the notification of two deaths, David G. Rose who died 22nd March 1968 and Hugh Rose who died 29th December 1968.

Any help or advice with this would be much appreciated.

Betty

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper look up if possible
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 July 10 10:40 BST (UK) »
You should be able to get the information through the public libraries. Most libraries have an "Ask a Librarian" section.

Vancouver Public Library
www.vpl.vancouver.ca/

Edmonton Public Library
www.epl.ca/

You have the dates of the look-ups you require so it should be fairly easy to get some help through the libraries.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 July 10 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply and sites.

I will give it a go.

Thanks for your time

Betty

Offline Bizeroni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 July 10 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi!
As far as I have been ale to find, Canada does not have any on line newspaper archives. Sometimes obituaries are on line for a year, but no longer. 

It depends what information you are looking for. On www.bcarchives.bc.ca you can search death certificates. I located your Hugh Rose there, deceased December 30 1968, aged 84 in Vancouver, but no David. You can order the certificates on line, but I think the price is quite steep-about $30.00! The death certificate that I received from there listed the wife's name, no maiden name, the deceased place of birth, address at death, and the parents name and country of birth. Not much help, but maybe their information was limited.

You can try to google Alberta vital statistics for Edmonton to see what you find there.

Hope this helps,

Kim
Robertson, Russell.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 July 10 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim

Since putting this message on I have progressed quite a lot thanks to people like yourself who go the extra mile and get you more information than you asked for, which is absolutely brilliant.

I so appreciate your time.

I have now managed to get both their entries from the newspapers.  I have even got a photo of David's grave stone.  Going my the entry on Hugh's obit. he may have been cremated as there was no info. as to where he is buried.

Thanks for the site for Hugh's death certificate.  I have tried to find it on the site without success.  It is probably too early in the morning for me.  Could you point me in the right direction.  I have the info you quoted.  Although the date of death I have from the obit is the 29th.

Thanks again for your time.

Betty

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 July 10 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty

You can search the BC Archives of Genealogy/Vital Events to get the reference numbers for Hugh Rose's death at the following website.  Deaths are indexed from 1872  to 1989.

http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-16530E1/gbsearch#form

Then post the ref. info. on this thread with the request for a look-up.  There are a number of very helpful Rootschatters in BC who will access the microfilm to find the information on the death registration for you.  My experience is that the death registration usually contains much more information than a death certificate; of course, the amount and accuracy of information depends solely on the knowledge of the informant. 

I would be willing to do the look-up but won't be available next week as I'm looking after my grandson.  If you post a request, you may find someone who can do it sooner.

Regards,
Susan

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 July 10 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the offer Susan.  That would be great.

I eventually found the entry on the site I was given by Kim.  My first attempts kept telling me nothing was found but when I tried again I found the entry.

On Hugh's obit it mentions his wife  Margaret, which would confirm the entry I have for him on the censuses as Maggie.

Look forward to hearing from you.  Enjoy the time with your grandson.

Betty

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 July 10 09:17 BST (UK) »

Hi Kim

Success

I have now found the entry.

Thanks again.

Betty

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 July 10 09:29 BST (UK) »
LOL...I think I either need to get my glasses checked or get myself to bed.....I didn't notice that Kim had already posted the same website.  My apologies!!

I'll post when I've had an opportunity to do the look-up.

Cheers,
Susan