Author Topic: Gordon Kirkmichael Tomintoul  (Read 28846 times)

Offline Darwin

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mother
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Kirkmichael Tomintoul
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 25 September 10 10:25 BST (UK) »
Yes I have your email address copied down and will contact you.

You'll need to edit your post and take it out though as posting email addresses (or addresses / phone numbers) isn't permitted here.

You can share those things via Personal Message once you have made 3 posts here.

Looking forward to sharing some info with you!  :)
Devon: Sloman & Parsons
Banffshire: McGregor & Ogg
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I saw my previous post after sending a query; so modified it to apologise instead. ! Donna
Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Bo'ness: Henderson, Wallace, Foot(e)
Irvine: Petrie, Millar, Jaffrey, Allen,Boyd,
Edinburgh: Huldberg, Smith, Main, primrose
Roxburgh: Main, Smith, Sutherland
Wales: Islay, Wilkes, Morris, Ponter
England: Murray ( Windsor), Ponter ( Bath),
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson

Offline alisonchristie

• I am sorry but my emails are no loner working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Re Charles Gordon;
I came to a standstill re my ancestors from Tomintoul; I was looking for a John Gordon and Jean Cummin- these names were wrong and their names are now Peter Gordon and Jane Cumming; relatives who never met grandparents assume everyone was called John and their accent affected spelling.

One of Peter Gordon's sons was a Charles; and I have found info on a site dedicated to Grants and Gordons of Kirkmichael (also Cameron) the spelling of the farms they lived on kept changing, it was called Fordmouth but has been recorded as Fuiedmuth, also Gaullrigg where my Grant family lived has been recorded as Gawlairg and other variations.

I have found another Charles Gordon born at Fordmouth, in 1766, probably a brother of my ancestor Peter.
I was told about these Gordons coming over from Aberdeenshire with General Gordon of Glenbucket by someone in the Tourist info office.
ARE ANY OF MY gORDON ANCESTORS CONNECTED TO YOURS?  i THINK ALL THE MEN NAMED cHARLES WERE NAMED AFTER bONNIE pRINCE cHARLIE.

Offline john macgregor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 18 December 11 19:59 GMT (UK) »
hi , im john macgregor , grt grt grt grt grandad was alexander mcgigor lived in ballentomb farm he was there in 1841 census, he was married to grace cameron .

i have been to visit the farm , its still there ,the house has  no roof but  very  funny to be were i think ?? of corse my macgregors  started .

charles the next in my line married amelia anderson born 1818 ish at ballentomb farm .
 if you need anything else ?? or maybe you know more than i .

Offline john macgregor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
re mcgregor Kirkmichael Tomintoul
« Reply #49 on: Friday 23 December 11 01:37 GMT (UK) »
in the 1841 census , alexander mcgrigor lived on a farm called ballentomb, just about 3 miles from tomintoul .

alexander  was 60  who had married  grace cameron  50, son charles age 20  . dau ann, age 15 .son alexander age 10. jean dau , age 10 .
im sure they had more kids ie  john , who was older
im looking to find out who was alexanders father

anyone who can help me plz

Offline Wilfiedog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 13 July 12 23:03 BST (UK) »

According to my research, Charles' mother was Lillias McHardy and Elspet Stuart's father was William Stuart of Ballantruan and her mother (his wife) was Elspet Cameron.
You wouldn't by any chance know which Elspet Cameron married William Stuart? I am trying to find the one that married William Blair but there were two born in 1769, one to Donald Cameron & Janet Fife/Fyfe 23/5/1769 and one to Alexander Cameron & Margaret McQueen 12/11/1769. Could one of these ladies be wife of William Stuart?