Author Topic: Looking for LADNER  (Read 6095 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for LADNER
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 02:46 BST (UK) »
Ash,

You need to check all that information. It was posted by a member of the LDS Church. You need to recheck every person and date provided before you enter it in your own tree. Just by your own requests here on RootsChat you can see how easily mistakes can be made.

We do not know that this person has the facts. That is what you must check. You need to check as many original sources as you can and as to transcriptions only except information in Extracted records found on the IGI etc. Submitted entries found in trees/ LDS submitted entries etc have not been verified. We do not know if this information is correct.

As too Cornish records so much is available free online. Please check our resources board.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,338.0.html

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 03:49 BST (UK) »
Okay, I went to http://sancreedopccornwall.tripod.com/id42.html looking for Joseph Ladner (bap. 14 July 1811) in Sancreed, Cornwall. I could not find a Joseph Ladner, but I did find a Joseph Lanner baptised that day to parents Francis and Anne - which almost match the IGI ref of Francis and Jane - could this be him? I would be inclined to think so...

but i just went back to my original research and i was looking for a John, b. 1804 as Josepha's father, not Joseph b. 1811 - which is what we got off the census records. I'm all confused now.

thanks again for all your help
Names: Chesson, Williams, Blowes, Bowden, Bowman, Bray, Cooper, Crawford, James, Wellington, Wheton.

Locations: South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, England, Scotland, Ireland

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Ash,

LADNER Josepha was born Sep 1/4 1837 Penzance 9 129

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

By what we can see Josepha's father was John not Joseph therefore I can only suggest you ignore this material and do your own research. You cannot rely on someone elses research. To confirm Josepha's parentage you need to purchase her birth certificate (details above) from

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

A quick look shows John LADNER 9 Sep 1802 St Buryan to John and Anne or 28 Apr 1805 Sancreed to Francis and Jane or 28 May 1807 St Just in Penwith to William and Mary

Checking the census St Buryan and Sancreed appear in 1851 so they can be ruled out. I don't have time for proper study _ There could be other John's so this alone does not guarantee the St Just one is yours, but he may require further study.

Firstly you need confirm Josepha's parents names from that certificate.

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hey Kris,

I think I solved something. I did another IGI search and came up with 2 different Josepha Ladner...

One was born 1837 in Penzance (and i found her on FreeBMD) - I think this is the one you found in the census.

The other was born in April 1840, and according to the IGI search was married to William Chesson - the other was not.

This is the one whose parents were Joseph and Sarah.... is this enough evidence to go up that branch of the family or do you think it is 100% necessary to buy the certificate?

Ash
Names: Chesson, Williams, Blowes, Bowden, Bowman, Bray, Cooper, Crawford, James, Wellington, Wheton.

Locations: South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, England, Scotland, Ireland

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hey Kris,

I think I solved something. I did another IGI search and came up with 2 different Josepha Ladner...

One was born 1837 in Penzance (and i found her on FreeBMD) - I think this is the one you found in the census.

The other was born in April 1840, and according to the IGI search was married to William Chesson - the other was not.

This is the one whose parents were Joseph and Sarah.... is this enough evidence to go up that branch of the family or do you think it is 100% necessary to buy the certificate?

Ash

But this is all submitted information. Have you found this alleged Josepha's birth reference or found her in the census?

Kris

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 23:55 BST (UK) »
no I haven't. I'm just trying to avoid having to buy the certificate.

Did we happen to find an immigration record for Josepha? I cannot seem to find her anywhere? Any ideas on where else I could look?

Ash

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 July 10 00:53 BST (UK) »
Research does cost money. This girl does not appear with her parents in the census so yes I feel you will eventually need a cert to confirm parentage. You often mention in your lookups that you are looking for original records. If you are looking for originals you do need to purchase them. We can only help you with transcriptions and index information. If you require copies of original records you do need to purchase them.

Yes I did find a record of John and families immigration, but I do not believe this online transcript. It needs to be viewed at the library as another source does list Josepha not Joseph. I am curious as to the age, which does not fit with anything we have.

Since they emigrated in 1850 this is the only census they appear on

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1850Agincourt.htm

http://www.familyhistorysa.info/shipping/passengerlists.html

Obviously these ages are not correct as William was 5 in 1841 and Angelina was 3, still if this 6 is what appears it does not fit with a child born in 1837. Ages were often taken from the time the family applied to emigrate so I would expect ages may be little out. (The older two children within reason but Josepha listed as 6)

Looking at Josepha's marriage record she was 21 in 1861 (father JOHN) and 42 at death in 1882  :-\

I am flat out with grandkids this week. Suggest you do a thorough look for any later birth possibly mistranscribed in FreeBMD

There is Jerusha LADNER  1842  but its not her - she appears in 1851

Kris

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 July 10 01:12 BST (UK) »
okay... I ordered the original birth certificate... I think i ordered the one from 1840 rather than the one from 1837 because I honestly believe that the 1840 one is the right one :)

i'll let you know when i get it. :)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 July 10 01:14 BST (UK) »
Do you have details of a 1840 one  :-\

That is the problem with an 1840 date

I have not located a 1840 birth record to order a certificate  ???

Kris