Author Topic: Lexden photos  (Read 22833 times)

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lexden photos
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 11:00 BST (UK) »
Clif

Just away from the junction of Straight Road, there was a shop on Shrub End Road which I think was Woolnough's....grocer?. (North Side)

Further along, opposite the Berechurch Arms, was the Post Office (South Side)

On the corner of Shrub End Road and Hastings Road was another small shop...grocer? Don't think this was Slowgroves. (North Side)

Further along , past the Walnut Tree Way junction (South Side) was a parade of shops that went around the junction of Shrub End Road with (sorry, can't remember....All Saints Avenue?) To the best of my knowledge, Slowgroves was among this parade, which included a butcher, hairdresser, grocer / confectionary shops.

Slowgroves, I am pretty sure, was the name of the grocer/confectionary shop...but maybe they owned the whole damn lot?

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline Clif

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 11:57 BST (UK) »
I was talking to a 76 year old Slowgrove on the phone this morning and he said the Slowgroves had a ' mobile shop ' - hairdressers in Shrub End - but he called it by another name - like Pett Estae ?? - is there another name for the area ?

- Clif

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 12:07 BST (UK) »
Prettygate Estate

Al
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline Clif

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 12:58 BST (UK) »

Thanks...and if you fancy a walk in the sunshine I have read in a will that there is a Tweed family vault in Braintree Churchyard...which isnt to far away is it ?
Be interesting to find one and details if there is.

But seriousely how far 'out' is Braintree Churchyard ?

- Clif

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 13:05 BST (UK) »
Depends which churchyard in Braintree..........

Braintree is say, 12 miles west of Colchester along the A120.

I'm 30 miles North North East of Colchester.....so I'm not walking to Braintree.

Al.

Offline Clif

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 13:47 BST (UK) »
I have a friend in NZ who would - and think it was a superb use of a day !!. Many years ago we walked from Greenwich, up to London, via Tower Bridge, down Fleet St, around the West End then home via the Old Kent Rd. I think we got in about 9 ish.

I was in bed till 11 p.m. next day.
He was up at 5 a.m. , caught a coach back to Cornwall and then played in a band in the pub at night !!.

He visited this time last year and got me out walking - I have had painfull heels ever since !!.

I asked him why he walks - it gives him time to think.....about what I asked.....at 46 years old , he should have finished with all that nonsense and be  preparing  himself for the days ahead when he will need the time trying to remember !!

- clif

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 19 January 06 05:32 GMT (UK) »
I realise that this thread has become a bit dormant but I have noticed that I have collected a few TWEED baptisms at Bradfield. Essex Record Office ref: D/P 173/1/4 fiche 1 of 1
1785   19-Dec   TWEED   Abraham   son of Abraham and Mary TWEED
1787   11-Feb   TWEED   William   son of Abraham and Mary TWEED
1788   28-May   TWEED   Chapman   son of Abraham and Mary TWEED
1790   07-Feb   TWEED   Robert   son of Abraham and Mary TWEED
1792   19-Jun   TWEED   John   son of Abraham and Mary TWEED

If you already have them please bin. If not, I hope they help

Offline sarah2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 20 November 08 15:06 GMT (UK) »
I am an Isom who had relatives living and working in Lexden, Fordham and West Bergholt. My Great Grandfatherx3 lived in Lexden Street on the 1871 census he was Abraham Isom married to Elizabeth and family.
my  GGrandfatherx2 Jonathon married Sarah Ellen Kettle at West Bergholt in 1873 and my grandfather Willie Abram was born in1874

If there is a connection which I haven't made yet I look forward to hearing from you.

regards
SH

Offline heatherannej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lexden photos/Johnsons/Garlings
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Just discovered this thread, I have some vintage Lexden pics that I've digitally copied if you are still interested in receiving them ....... it was some time back now when the question was asked.

Also - re the Johnson shop comments - my husband and John Johnson are on the same family tree.  John Johnson ran the shop with his wife Janet (nee Tweed of the aforementioned Tweed family).  John's parents were William John Johnson and wife Irene (nee Barber).

My Lexden interests are Johnsons and Garlings .... they are my husband's families.

Heather