Author Topic: Italian family in London 1901 to 1919  (Read 1513 times)

Offline rocca

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Italian family in London 1901 to 1919
« on: Sunday 04 July 10 12:50 BST (UK) »
Help
I have been researching family history and have reached a few dead ends. In the 1901 census my ancestors were an Italian family living in Finsbury.The head of the family is given as Rocco Dalmasio,  Wife Angela. Three children Madelini 18, Luigi 16 and Joseph 14.Rocco was a mosaic floor layer. In the 1911 census they were living in North Mews Holborn. Madelini and Joseph have gone and Luigi is living with them with his wife and child who had been born inn 1910 in Manchester. By 1918 Luigi and family were back in Manchester with their family and remained there for the rest of their days. A mystery is that he was now known as Luigi Rocca. The 1911 census shows Joseph as living in Islington with his wife and two children Kate Louise aged 1 and Thomas Lewis aged 4. His family is using the name Dalmasio. Can anybody please give any further information as to what happened to Joseph and Madelini and why the use of different family names. I am descended from Luigi and his family have kept the name Rocca. The spelling of Dalmasio is quite different on on various records. Thanking you in anticipation
Rocca