Author Topic: Edlin in Leics and Lincs and NZ  (Read 14485 times)

Offline stasiadevorms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edlin in Leics and Lincs and NZ
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 July 10 13:22 BST (UK) »
Wasn't it common to name children after dead children that preceded them? Could that be the case here?

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 July 10 15:00 BST (UK) »
No, there is no question of brothers being involved.  George was William's uncle and they both had a son William.   As one of the sons William married Ann Adcock in 1586 it seems slightly more likely, just in terms of dates, that he was George's son.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Apple Blossom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 July 10 07:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, we differ on that point as to whether it was George (bur. 1582) or William (b,1540), the father of William who married Ann Adcock.  I have no access to records - can anyone help?

This William (b1565 Denton) had a sister called Anne who had two children.  I have her as marrying a Fletcher, as one of her children was called Michael Fletcher, who married his cousin - one of the daughter's of William and Ann Adcock.

Maria

Offline Apple Blossom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 July 10 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Just a snippet:

I have found Edlin in two historical references.  The first is in the poem called The Hoianau which is included in the Black Book of Carmarthen, which although written in the 13th century contains poems relating to events that took place centuries earlier including heroes of Dark Age Britain.

In this poem we find an unnamed man addressing a pig and prophesying the success or failure of the Welsh in forthcoming battles.  The following is just one verse, which mentions the lands of Eddlyn:

The Hoianau (Greetings)

O listen little pig
O blessed pig
The sibyl has told me
A frightful thing:
When Llogria encamps
In the lands of Eddlyn
Making Deganwy a strong fort
Between Llogria and Cymru,
A child will appear leaping
And the Franks will flee.
At Aber Dulas they will fall
Sweating in bloody garments.

Llogria – what is now England
Franks – Normans  (The name may have been changed by scribe writing in 13th Century)
Cymru – Wales
Aber Dulas – West Coast of Wales
Deganwy Castle in the 6th century was fortified as the stronghold of the king of Gwynedd, North Wales
And the LANDS OF EDDLYN……!!!

Any thoughts?

Maria

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 10:56 BST (UK) »
It may not be relevant but "edlyng" I believe is welsh for heir apparent.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Apple Blossom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 August 10 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone!

I've found some Edlyns living in Leicester in the 14th century from the Borough Records:

William Edelyn of Leicester, Carpenter.  (Also described as William Edelyn de Swannington de Leicester)
He was married to Isabella.  They lived in the North Suburb.  First mention:  Oct 2 1346 where he receives rent from lands in North Suburb.

William Edelyn married to Agnus, who had a son also called William.  Also lived in the North Suburb. Mentioned in Jan 10 1385 when land is granted to Agnus, wife of William Edelyn and William her son.

Here there are three William Edelyns.

In the 15th Century;

William Edelyn, Corvisor mentioned Nov. 8 1451. (This could be William son of Agnus)

Thomas Edelyn, Corvisor mentioned Nov. 20 1451

John Edling is first mention on May 2 1492 on Subsidy Roll.  He was Town Chamberlain with Robert Knolles in 1494/95.  He lived in the South Gate area and was probably the husband of Emme (Emmelina) Edling who died in 1515.  If so they are both buried in St Marys de Castro, Leicester, where they lived close by.

Maria

Offline Kiwibirdsong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 23 April 15 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone here.
I can't believe what I am finding on your forum.  I am a descendant of one of the Edlins who came to New Zealand.
My Grandfather was Tom Edlin who was one of the children who came out to New Zealand with his parents Henry and Mary Edlin.
I found the Shipping passenger list showing me my Gt Grandparents details and then after searching for their details was lucky to find this group.
I would love to get more information if anyone is able to share.
If I can help you with information from New Zealand please don't hesitate to ask.  Would love to help put this puzzle together.

Edlin, Masom, Reece

Offline paja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 April 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary, great to have another contributor.  The most comprehensive information among the contributors here is from David ('Behind the Frogs'), who maintained (and hopefully still does) a Word-based document with Edlins almost from the Ark, including the several brothers who emigrated to NZ. 

I wouldn't presume to speak before him, but if he's no longer on this site or thread (it's over three years since I was in contact with him), I can share the documentation that I have from him, if you have an e-mail I can use.

Regards, Peter

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 23 April 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
Don't worry, he's still around, and still a regular Rootschatter, so I'm sure he'll be answering soon :)

If he doesn't I'll send him a PM.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)