Author Topic: 1700s birstall and batley  (Read 2988 times)

Offline cheeseypeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1700s birstall and batley
« on: Wednesday 30 March 05 19:10 BST (UK) »
Saw that ChrisBros has stuff on Birstall and Batley in the 1700s. Don't know what you've got - it might not be any more than I already have - but worth a try!
Would love any info that you've got on the following people who were my ancestors:

JEREMIAH WILKINSON  born 19th Dec 1779 Birstall
                                      married 15th Sept 1803 Birstall to 
                                      SARAH  FIRTH

BENJAMIN WILKINSON   born 27th April 1760 Cleckheaton
                                      married 16th Dec 1773 Birstall to
                                      THOMAZIN WADDINGTON
RICHARD WILKINSON     born ? possibly 1723 in Wibsey
                                      married 16th July 1753 Birstall to
                                      MARY SUGDEN

Ta ever so!

Cheeseypeas

Offline ChrisBros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1700s birstall and batley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 April 06 01:05 BST (UK) »
Just got a 'nudge' from Ticker,the site moderator who pointed me toward your posting of long ago. This is what I found in the fiche
JEREMIAH WILKINSON  born 19th Dec 1779 Birstall
                                      married 15th Sept 1803 Birstall to 
                                      SARAH  FIRTH
Name was Jeremiah Riley Bapt 19 Jan 1780 son of Mr Benjamin Wilkinson of Heckmondwike, Merchant - Marriage Mr Jeremiah Wilkinson of Batley to Miss Sarah Firth of Heckmondwike in the Parish of Birstall both in the Diocese of York were married in this church by licence granted by Matthew Powley surrogate this 15th day of September in the year one thousand eight hundred & three by me W M Heald, Vicar. -- both signed - In the presence of Joseph Charlesworth & Joseph Wilkinson (both signed & both family or friends since a Joseph Shaw was often the second witness)
BENJAMIN WILKINSON   born 27th April 1760 Cleckheaton
                                      married 16th Dec 1773 Birstall to
                                      THOMAZIN WADDINGTON
Benjamin son of Richard Wilkinson of Wike at Cleckheaton Chapel 
Marriage Benjamin of Heckmonwike + Thomazin Waddington of Bradford --- married in this church by licence granted by R Ogden Surrogate --- by me R Ogden Surrogate -- both signed -- witnesses Richard Rayner & Sarah Wilson .. both names unique to this marriage = friends/family?
RICHARD WILKINSON     born ? possibly 1723 in Wibsey
                                      married 16th July 1753 Birstall to
                                      MARY SUGDEN
Marriage -Richard of Wike

No earlier mention of Richard at the suggested date BUT Wilkinsons were there in the early 1700s. A Richard, son of Richard of Wike, babt 6th Oct 1734 -if this is him there's lots of earlier ones in Birstall

Offline cheeseypeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 06 20:07 BST (UK) »
 :D ;D :) Thank you very much! The outlines fit with what I've got - but the details make the picture much clearer.

Thanks for your time

Kath

Offline Irishgene65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 April 12 19:13 BST (UK) »
Found your note on Jeremiah Wilkinson in 1700s.  Can you tell me if you know if this has any connection to Jeremiah Riley Wilkinson born 1845 in Batley? I am a direct descendent of his son Edward who moved to Ireland sometime in the early part of the 1900s and I'm trying to trace the Yorkshire roots.  Many thanks

Offline cheeseypeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 April 12 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hello.

As far as I've found, the Jeremiah Wilkinson I was looking for (born 1779 -  also with middle name Riley) was the grandfather of your Jeremiah Riley Wilkinson.  JW born 1779 (married Sarah Firth - see below) was father of Thomas Wilkinson born 29th May 1813 in Birstall. He was a rag trader & blanket manufacturer. Thomas married Nancy Clegg (b 1818, d 1854) and they had three children: Sarah (who is my direct ancestor), Thomas Riley and Mary. Thomas lived till 1901.

I've never managed to find out much more about Jeremiah senior. It says on Thomas Wilkinson's marriage certificate that his father was a schoolmaster, but have yet to find out where - or when he died. Can't find him on the 1841 census either.

Hope that helps - let me know if you want any more info - if I can help, I will.

Regards.

Kath

Offline Irishgene65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 April 12 11:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kath for the wonderful information. I am applying for the marriage cert of Jeremiah junior so hopefully it'll will also confirm the connection.  I did a search in the London Gazette (link http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/all=Jeremiah+Riley+Wilkinson;sort=oldest/start=11) and it looks like Jeremiah senior fell on hard times and was declared bankrupt along with Joseph Wilkinson and Joseph Charlesworth. There seem to be some references to JW sr in the UK national archives which I going through.

If this is the same JW sr we are both connected to I guess that makes us distant cousins or something! Thank you so much for your help.
June

Offline cheeseypeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hello.

I have a distant memory of finding record of a Jeremiah Wilkinson's bankruptcy in a historical directory - and chose to ignore it! I'm finding far too many ancestors who seemed to being doing very well for themselves then blew all their money! Or left it to a different branch of the family!

I have marriage certificate for Thomas and Nancy, and Nancy's death certificate if you want a copy. I'd have to email them to you as the link below says I can attach images - but then doesn't let me! I don't yet have Thomas's death certificate but I know he died in 1901 - Jul-Sept, Dewsbury 9b, page 440 if you wanted to get a copy.

Happy hunting

Kath

Offline Irishgene65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 13:24 BST (UK) »
Yes I haven't found any wealthy ancestors yet either! LOL Still its interesting to find out what they were doing. Jeremiah junior was a Foreman in the Rug & Seal Factory and his son (my great grandfather) Edward was a printer and Hannah is wife was a weaver.  I'd really like to find out why they moved to Ireland but I'm not sure I'll ever find that out.   I'm also trying to find out more about Hannah's family but not much to go on (maiden name was Ellis). Her father was a general labourer so Edward married a bit below himself!!  They got married in Heckmondwike in a church just round the corner from Hannah.  I'm fairly new to this but up until 6 months ago, none of my family knew about our Yorkshire heritage so its great to discover it.  I hope one day to take a trip there. I google mapped the roads they lived on and looked at the pictures which was great.

Don't worry about certs. Are we able to share emails here?? Wasn't sure.
Thanks for your help Kath.
June