Author Topic: Census look up please  (Read 2361 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Census look up please
« on: Tuesday 06 July 10 19:18 BST (UK) »
I have just found a George and Jane Williamson, mother and son in the 1881 census.  There is also a Jane Blackhall 35 years, niece, Christine Scott 7 gr. niece and James Stephen, gr. nephew.

Blackhall is certainly in the family tree and I think I know who she is but don't know where the Scott and Stephen come in yet.

Could someone have a look for the two of them in the 1891 census to see if they are living with their parents.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Betty

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 19:21 BST (UK) »
Can you include details of their respective birthplaces please
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 20:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I took the details from the 1881 disc in the Library and did not take their birth places.  The address in 1881 was Blackdam, in Morayshire.  Some of the births could have been Urquhart, Morayshire.

Thanks

Betty

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 22:15 BST (UK) »
James was b Speymouth as was Jane Blackhall whilst Christine was b Urquhart

In 1891, Christina was still with George Williamson and Jane Blackhall and still shown as grand niece

I can't find James in 1891
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

Familysearch IGI has a birth extracted from the Statutory Registers as follows

Christina BLACKHALL born 8th May 1873, Urquhart, Morayshire, mother Jane BLACKHALL, no father named.

I have come across a number of cases particularly in Scotland where an illigitemate child uses the reputed fathers surname, often this name was used as a middle name at registration. Future events could be under either surname, their mothers or reputed fathers.

According to Scotlandspeople there is also a birth James BLACKHALL registered in 1877 in Urquhart who could be James. There doesn't look to be a likely birth in Speymouth

Andy

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks both for your replies and information.

I am hoping to pay a visit to Scotland's People in the next couple of months.  Hopefully I can sort  out who these people are. 

I now think I have a rough idea.

I have also found info from someone elses tree saying that a Ann Blackhall married a James Stephen.

Going by ages, they are probably parents of James Stephen born c 1877.  The relationship to George Williamson would be correct

One for the pending folder just now as I am getting further away from what I am supposed to be doing!!

Thanks for your time

Betty

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
I have come across a number of cases particularly in Scotland where an illigitemate child uses the reputed fathers surname, often this name was used as a middle name at registration. Future events could be under either surname, their mothers or reputed fathers.

If the name of the child's father was known, it was very common for the child to be generally known by its father's name.

However the rules said that an illegitimate birth could only be registered in the father's name if the father accompanied the mother to the registration office and signed the birth certificate.

Hence the numerous illegitimate children living with grandparents, registered with their mother's surname but bearing a different surname in the census and later records.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.