Author Topic: Lawrence - Coleraine, Londonderry  (Read 30597 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrence - Coleraine, Londonderry
« Reply #54 on: Friday 28 September 18 09:12 BST (UK) »
Wonder is there a connection  i see his eldest daughter is Mary McMillan

A David Lawrence married Mary McMillan 1862 in Coleraine
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGXN-QQ3

Yes, David's parents were David Lawrence (son of Samuel) & Mary McMillan (daughter of William). see reply #51
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 28 September 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
Macosquin Presbyterian Church baptisms-
Children of David Lawrence & Esther Crawford-
28 Nov.1916 David (born 22 July 1915)
24 Oct.1918 Samuel James (born 7 Oct.1918)

There are also baptisms for a daughter of William Lawrence & Mary Connelly (1921), children of Thomas Martin Lawrence & Sarah Margaret McMaster (1924, 1927, 1932, 1935, 1939, 1939), another son of David Lawrence & Esther Crawford (1924), sons of George Lawrence & Margaret Orr (1932, 1935) as well as an illegitimate child (1928).

Offline hollaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 28 September 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

Wow. You have just added to and taken my tree back so much further! Unbelievable! Why didn’t I find this website earlier?? You have been so amazingly helpful… I can’t wait to start working on these new names and information!

I always thought my Lawrence family was from Coleraine, but it looks as though I should be looking for Ballylaggan instead! Ignorantly, I believed these places were basically one in the same, as by Canadian distance standards, Coleraine and Ballylagan are fairly close. So just to be clear, Ballylagan is a small area that lies to the east of Curragh Road to the west bank of the Lower River Bann, and west of the city Ballymoney? I just want to make sure I’m looking at the right place on a map. The townlands.ie site is very helpful, thanks for that link. Do you know of any way to tell which properties the Lawrence families may have occupied in that area?

Do you think that the graveyard at the Ballylagan Reformed Presbyterian Church is likely where most of them would have been buried, even though there may be a lack of headstones present today? I wonder if transcription/burial records are out there somewhere...

In regard to Susanna Lawrence (Gray)’s death date of 20 Oct 1927, do you know where I could find a source reference/death record for this?

In regard to James Gray Lawrence and Elizabeth Allen’s children, I was surprised to learn of two children I never knew existed, so I did a little more homework. I knew of David (b. 1908) and Esther (b. 1911) both born in Ireland and they also had two more children later born in Canada – Susanna Mae (b. 1922) and William James Allen (b. 1924). William or “Al” as we called him, was my grandfather. All of these children are gone now, all buried in Canada. With such a big gap between Esther’s 1911 birth and Susanna Mae’s in 1922, I would not be shocked if there were other children. However, Canadian Passenger Records lists James Gray Lawrence, with wife Elizabeth, son David and daughter Essie arriving in Canada on 28 May 1913. The family is also found in Canadian Census records in 1916.

So in regard to William (b. 1917) and Samuel James (b. 1918), I notice on William and Samuel James’ death records, the informant is listed as “Esther Lawrence, mother” – do you think that this could be the wife of one of James’ brothers rather than Elizabeth/Lizzie Lawrence? I was thinking maybe the wife of David Lawrence (b. 1893), Esther Crawford?

Anyways, sorry for all that blabber, I’m just really excited with all of this information. Thanks again for your help!  :)

Holly

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 28 September 18 21:21 BST (UK) »
Not sure what happened when I cut and pasted earlier but William and Samuel James are the children of David Lawrence and his wife Esther Crawford and not James Gray Lawrence and Lizzie Allen.

So just to be clear, Ballylagan is a small area that lies to the east of Curragh Road to the west bank of the Lower River Bann, and west of the city Ballymoney? I just want to make sure I’m looking at the right place on a map. The townlands.ie site is very helpful, thanks for that link. Do you know of any way to tell which properties the Lawrence families may have occupied in that area?
Ballylaggan is the name of a townland and also the name of the Reformed Presbyterian Church in that area. Ballymoney is a market town across the River Bann to the east. Previously Ballymoney would have been the postal address so letters would have been address “Lawrence family, Ballylaggan, Ballymoney.”
This map will show you the location of Ballylaggan (note the site uses 1 ‘g' but we always use ‘gg’). There is also a Ballylagan (North & South) nearer Coleraine.
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/coleraine/macosquin/ballylagan/
The church is in the bottom left corner of the townland near where the Managher Rd. forks into the Curragh Road.
https://ballylaggan-rpc.org/
You can see the list of tenants in Ballylaggan (and other townlands) in the Valuation Revision Books.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/search-archives-online/valuation-revision-books
These follow from the printed version of Griffith’s Valuation (mid 1800s) which have maps-
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

In regard to Susanna Lawrence (Gray)’s death date of 20 Oct 1927, do you know where I could find a source reference/death record for this?
Some of the death dates came from a large collection of death letters that once belonged to the Lawrence family covering many families in the Ballylaggan area. I’ve had them packed away for the last few years over several house moves but will see if I can find them soon.
By the end of this year Irish Genealogy site should include scans of the earlier records which should help piece together more on the Lawrence family. Meanwhile you can get mre recent scans on GRONI's site (births 100 years old, marriages 75 years old & deaths 50 years old).

Do you think that the graveyard at the Ballylagan Reformed Presbyterian Church is likely where most of them would have been buried, even though there may be a lack of headstones present today? I wonder if transcription/burial records are out there somewhere...
The Lawrences were buried at Ballylaggan (at least for a long time) but the only transcription of gravestones that I know of is the one I did a few years ago. Presbyterians, and Reformed Presbyterians, don’t usually keep burial records and I know that Ballylaggan doesn’t have any such records although the baptisms do go back quite far. I’ve not extracted any Lawrences from them so not sure what might be in them. The records are not online.

From memories the Allens might be buried in Camus (further north along the Curragh Road towards Coleraine) but would have to check my notes to be sure.

We aren’t allowed to post details of living people but if you send me your email address by PM (Personal Message) I can forward more notes, links to recent family events, etc.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 08 October 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry it's taken me so long to send you details of Lawrence and Allen families but I keep finding more details to add.

Was ready to send you the Lawrence file last week but luckily decided to check the Cullyvenny School register... which lead to a large branch of your family in America (mostly Philadelphia). Can send that to you know as well as 11 pages of Allen notes (complicated by the habit of Allens married Allens). Enjoy  :)

Online Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 00:12 BST (UK) »
Biffdog and Hollaw,

Just a little more detail:- Private William Lawrence from Ballylaggan, Coleraine was in the 10th Battalion of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers during the 1914 - 1918 War. 

Brown1777

Offline hollaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 01:03 BST (UK) »
aghadowey,

Thanks so much for all of the information. I have spent the afternoon going through it and this helps a a great deal. I still have a lot more work to do. Things get confusing when all the children have the same names through the generations!

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated  :)
Holly

Offline hollaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 01:05 BST (UK) »
Brown1777,

Thanks for the info on pvt. William Lawrence - do you know if WWI Irish Military Records are available online? I have been searching, but no luck so far.

Thanks,
Holly

Online Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hollaw,
The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers has a lovely museum in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh.  They also have a website that allows tracing of relatives.  Getting ready to attend a funeral at the minute, but not so long ago the website was "down" as it was being reviewed not sure how it is at present but if you google it, it is easily found.  Brown1777