Author Topic: Annie MENHAM  (Read 8997 times)

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Re: Annie MENHAM
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 11 September 10 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Ann and Paul.....

Isn't it great when everything comes together ?

Do's this mean , that our detective work was correct ?

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline alp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 11 September 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think, in most part it was.  I had got most of the info but simply couldn't put it all together, so your help was invaluable.  Many thanks.  Anne

Offline P-Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
I need some more help if possible, I am trying to track down the mother of Arthur Herbert Hill born 1878 in New Jersey, he shows up as the son of Ellen, but she would have to have given birth at 12 or 13, there is also another son of the Major Arthur Hill named Cyril, there was a "wife" called Dora, is this a possible match?
~~~~~~~~-----------------------------------------------
Mort 29

Hmmmm that man finally shows up again in 1901, married to a woman 30 years younger with 2 very young kids.

Its the same man as seen in 1861, still linked to the Royal Engineers, now a retired Colonel.

His wife Dora, is Irish and I cant see a marriage in FreeBMD.

RG13; Piece: 1009; Folio: 128; Page: 3 Hampshire, Alverstoke.

~~~~~~~~-------------------------------------------
Paul

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

1881 census

23 Tremlett Grove, London, Middlesex

Arthur Hill / head/ age 42 / born Worcester / Superintendent and Managet, Son St Train Company
PATIENCE Hill / wife / age 21 / born Retford ,Nottingham
Arthur H Hill / son / age 2 / born New Jersey . British Subject.

I am still checking , but the only Patience , of the correct age , born Retford , bears the surname Litchfield, and appears to be at home with her parents , Jasper and Esther in 1881

JeannieR

Offline P-Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi JeannieR

I know that Tremlet Grove features a lot in the family history,  Major Arthur and Patience registered the birth of a son "Sydney Montague Hardwick Hill" (makes a change from Arthur), in 1883 I have a copy of the birth certificate that stated Patience's maiden name was Booth, Sydney was a sail maker in the Navy and died in service in 1915.

Problem is my Grandfather is the Arthur Herbert Hill known as Bertie born in New Jersey, I don't know if this Birth Place is true, when a census was taken back then did the public have to provide documents to prove, could be a red herring.

The other problem with Arthur (Bertie) is this, I dont have his birth certificate, I do however have his marriage certificate for his first marriage to Doris Aline LeCren they married in 1911, she died in 1923, on the marriage certificate it states his father as Major Arthur Hill, my Grandmother was Winnifred Nellie Hill, birth certificate states father as Major Arthur Deveraux Hill,  so yes they look like half brother and sister.

My father Paul Herbert Hill tried in vain to find a birth certificate for Bertie without success, others in the family refused to discuss, they have all passed on now, (my father last year), the more I review the documents and tree the more obsessive it becomes, would love find out who Bertie’s mother was, Bertie used to talk of a half brother called Cyril. Both Arthur and Cyril pop up on a census living with the Major and Ellen, who have their own children, one of which is also named Arthur.

My suspicion is that whilst married to Annie Menham he stated a relationship with another unknown woman, possibly the mother of Arthur and Cyril, he also started a relationship with Patience, the unknown and Patience found out what he was up to and left the Major holding the babies so to speak, except they are not babies at all, therefore he gets his new “Wife” Ellen to take the Bertie and Cyril in, or the unknown mother died.

A number of people/family  have suggested that he wasn’t really Atrhur Herbert Hill at all and that he made the name up, but I have traced him with a number of records, military, and wills, when he married Doris LeCren they lived at Findon Tower Sussex, a record of a Arthur Herbert Hill awarded the Victory Medal in WW1 has the address of Findon Tower Sussex, so he’s real, another census shows him living with George and Jessie Booker at Ecclesden Manor on his Own Means, born in NJ USA again I know he was a left a fortune by two families including Jessie, don’t know why though.
Someone holds the key to this or a record exists, just can’t find it, it doesn’t bother me that they may have been half brother/sister, just want to finish the search. 
Paul

Offline P-Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 14 February 11 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Still stuck!

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 14 February 11 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul.....

I will have to re-aquaint myself with the story , I am afraid.

I have just found, what I think is "your" Arthur Herbert Hill, born 1878 in America on the last census. He is a theatrical worker and living in Yorkshire.

I will have a look, and see what else I can find.

With Best wishes

JeannieR

Offline P-Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 14 February 11 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi JeannieR

Thank you, the issue is tracing his "real mother" all the census records show him as born New Jersey USA, British Subject, can't work out how to obtain that record, or where to start, Arthur Hill is a very common name.

The census in 1881 has him living with Patience Hill & the Major), at the age of 2, in 1891 he is living with Ellen Hill & the Major, with other siblings: Sydney and Cyril, these are not the children of Ellen, she is to young, plus I have a copy of the Sydney's birth certificate naming Patience Hill (nee Booth) and Major Arthur Hill as the parents.

Regards - Paul

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Paul......

As a matter of interest, who else apart from Jesse Booker, left your Arthur Herbert , money , and when.......There may be a clue here

JeannieR