Author Topic: COMLETED Help find his death Hugh McLean Wither/s  (Read 11647 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Help find his death Hugh McLean Wither/s
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 22:34 BST (UK) »
Your most welcome Ann, have a few snippets I can send you by personal message.

Happy Hunting.
Sandra  ;)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline dougfitzr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COMLETED Help find his death Hugh McLean Wither/s
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 03 November 12 15:43 GMT (UK) »
I am starting this subject because I stumbled on your website last night and saw that the Hugh Withers chat was completed.  I think that means that I can't post to it.  Hugh Withers Sr. was my Grandfather who lived with us in the early 60's.  I have pictures of him with the family and with a bagpipe band in Scotland.  My Grandmother was Margaret Caldwell Black Withers.  Both are interred at Union Cemetery in Stanhope New Jersey, USA.  Grandpa passed away in 1963 and Grandma in 1968. Their daughter, Margaret, is interred in the same cemetery.  Hugh Jr was my Uncle, and Hugh III is my cousin living in Staten Island, NY, USA.  I am willing to answer any questions that I can, but I am also looking for a way to contact my cousin.  We lost touch about 45 years ago but I know he was in the US Coast Guard but I can't seem to find a phone number or address.  So I would appreciate any information that you may have.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 03 November 12 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi dougfitzr,

Welcome to Rootschat

If you make one further post you will be able to send Suzilad a message via the personal message system.  The other gentleman has not been on Rootschat for over a year now.
Shout if we can help further

Sandra

Added :- Did notice FIND A GRAVE entries for Hugh McLean Withers and Margaret (not sure those were available when this topic was running)

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=55605952
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline dougfitzr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 03 November 12 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Thank you for your assistance.  I'm very excited about this.  I have learned some things from the other posts.

Doug

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 November 12 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Doug,

Have you got access to ancestry ? Steven Withers has a family tree (with photographs) on that site, so you would have a good chance of making contact with him that way. Just checked and he was logged on last week, so it is a "work in progress"

Good Luck
Sandra

Offline dougfitzr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 03 November 12 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Sandra,

Are you referring to ancestry.com or the link on this site to ancestry genealogy?

Thanks.

Doug

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 03 November 12 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the first one Doug or if you have no access, try the sister site Mundia, sign up and its free during the beta period.

http://www.mundia.com/gb/

Sandra

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 03 November 12 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doug,
              How nice to meet up with you and Welcome to Rootschat from me to.You will have read on this forum that Hugh Withers 1 and my grandfather were cousins . My great grandfather Thomas Gordon was the brother of Hugh's mother Agnes. The Gordon family came over Dromore in Northern Ireland between 1838 and 1841 to Portpatrick in Wigtownshire Scotland. They were agricultural labourers. They then moved a few miles down the road to Leswalt . John and Agnes Withers were married in Leswalt and then moved to Tarbolton in Ayrshire " Rabbie Burns " country the family went into coalmining
If you PM me we can exchange informations and maybe you can fill in some of the gaps in my tree.
There are a lot of Gordons still here in Scotland. My grandfather was the youngest of twelve and your Hugh was one of seventeen,
Look forward to hearing from you.
suzilad

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 04 November 12 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doug,

Wondering if you got the two PM's I have sent you.

Regards,

suzilad