Author Topic: The Roe family in dublin map  (Read 7488 times)

Offline felixquaxer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Roe family in dublin map
« Reply #36 on: Friday 19 June 20 16:54 BST (UK) »
The Irish Times of 31st July 2010 contains an obituary for Rev. Robin Roe  born in Skeire Co.Laois who played rugby for Ireland in the 1950s.

Felixquaxer

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 19 June 20 22:20 BST (UK) »
The witness to Arthurs marriage was Robert McGowan who appears to be his cousin through his mother
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Mansion_House/Cuffe_Street/99887/

marriage 1900 Patrick McGowan to Elizabeth Graham
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1900/10346/5766432.pdf

Offline seanIRL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 19 June 20 23:36 BST (UK) »
by 1926 Arthur was a labourer when he married Annie Teresa O'Kelly dtr of Nicholas O'Kelly and Norah Foley
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1926/09130/5302140.pdf

Annie
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Wood_Quay__part_of_/Clanbrassil_Street__Lower__East_Side/78020/

I was referring to "Aurthur C Roe born in 1880" which was the father of Aurthur A Roe who married Annie O'kelly..
I'm trying to figure out why Aurthur senior lived in and married Catherine t Graham in Newbridge.. im guessing it has something to do with the army barracks near Newbridge but it says he and she were actors on their marriage record.. so was Aurthur seniors father Daniel s Roe in the british army based at the barracks near by ? If he was responsible for moving his family from England to Ireland then that is an important part to my tree ... if Daniel even lived in Ireland then obviously he went back to England at some point in his life because he is buried in London

Offline seanIRL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 21 June 20 10:04 BST (UK) »
Ok so after speaking to William roes nephew I've found out that he was shot twice.  Once in ww1 and again during the irish civil war, where he was guarding a bakery on o'connell St. And an IRA man shot him in the knee.. surely this would have been recorded somewhere? It must have happened between 24th October 1922 (when he joined) and 24th May 1923 (when the civil war ended).... Wikipedias irish civil war timelines mentions on 1st December 1922 four free state soldiers were wounded in a gun fight in dublin and another incident on 24th feb 1923 where a free state soldier was shot in the thigh... i wonder if anyone could find a more detailed account of these 2 events ?

Offline J4y

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 08 December 23 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I know this is an old thread but I've just stumbled across it after a Google search.

I'm in the process of applying for Irish citizenship by decent. I've had to get my grandmother's birth certificate which is now on the way. Anyway to cut a long story short she was a Roe and I found out today her father was Joseph Roe. I'm not sure if its the same Joseph that was mentioned earlier in this thread. He was married to Elizabeth Roe (formerly Graham). My grandmother Christina Roe was born in Dublin in 1928 on Lower Gardiner Street. I think she had 2 sisters one named Bridie. I'd love to know a bit more about her side of the family. It's probably a long shot that it's the same Joseph Roe but you never know :)