Author Topic: The Roe family in dublin map  (Read 7485 times)

Offline seanIRL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Roe family in dublin map
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, im looking for information on my great uncle william A Roe who ive been told was an IRA volunteer and took part in the rising and/or war of independence/civil war ...he lost his leg apparently and my mam remembers him with his wooden leg.. if anyone knows about him or is also related to him then let me know .. In the 1911 census he was 11 years old living with his granny in cuffe st mansion house Dublin

Offline Leedsfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 23:39 BST (UK) »
Looks like Arthur was having a bit of fun with the census. Eccentric comedian ? Speaks Cockney.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 00:00 BST (UK) »
He has also called himself Ashton in 1901, wonder if that was his stage name.
Also Catherine is using her maiden name, again possible her stage name.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 02:31 BST (UK) »
Arthur Charles Roe was the son baptised in St. John the Evangelist CoE, Kilburn, on 8 June 1873 for parents Daniel Samuel Roe, a purveyor of horse flesh, and Harriet Clara Toms, the family can be seen in various censuses from 1881 onwards in the Deptford area of London, there's a family tree on the 'Ancestry' website (my usual caveat about potential inaccuracy applies), Arthur had a number of siblings including a brother Stanley Bernard Roe, who placed the following notice in a 1914 issue of the 'Era' (which was largely a theatrical journal), confirming Arthur's alternative surname: WANTED, Arthur C. Ashton - Roe's address, by STANLEY B. ROE. Communicate immediately, C/o W. Paxton, 6 Arklow-Road, New Cross, S.E.

There are only a few newspaper references to Arthur Ashton as an actor/singer, including one in 1900 (Wicklow) about him suing a drama company that had engaged both him and his wife.

Arthur's parent's grave:
https://billiongraves.com/grave/Daniel-S-Roe/3335620

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 04:20 BST (UK) »
A Catherine Teresa Graham was baptised on 29 October 1872 in Harrington Street RC parish, Dublin, her parents were recorded as Robert Joseph Graham and Elizabeth O'Toole of 47 Cuffe Street:
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=harrington-street_mf_1865-1890_ba_0170

It's the same parish that Arthur Roe and Catherine Graham of 47 Cuffe Street had their daughter Ethel baptised in 1901:
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=harrington-street_mf_1890-1901_ba_0290

There are several other related Dublin RC parish records which you can find here:
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

BTW, Robert Graham and Elizabeth 'Toole' were married in St. Nicholas' RC parish, Dublin, in 1857, full details here:
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=st.nicholas_mf_1822-1880_ma_0109

Offline seanIRL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 11:50 BST (UK) »
Wow i wasn't expecting a reply so quickly and I didn't think it would be so detailed so thank you for that ! .. i did have the census and marriage records already and my mam remembers stories about them being stage performers.. ethel Marion roe was my great granny .. it was her brother William that I was initially asking about but thanks to you ive got so much more information to put in my tree.. go raibh mile maith agat .. i still would love to know how William lost his leg .. i would love him to have fought in either the rising/war of independence/civil war .. i did find a William roe who fought in them all but he later joined the guards and I know you can't join the guards with a wooden leg 😄 so it can't be him .. maybe he went to the 1st world war and lost it there but he would have only been 14 or 15 when the ww1 began so that seems a bit young .. ah ill keep on searching for clues .. thanks again

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 18:14 BST (UK) »
The pension applications online so far only give one Roe, William Charles Roe which is likely the man you found before.
I think all the 1916 ones are online and you would expect if he lost a leg he would definitely have applied for a pension.
There is still the possibility his application isn't online yet assuming he did apply.

Do you know when he died, there might be an obit in the newspapers.

Offline seanIRL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 22:57 BST (UK) »
A Catherine Teresa Graham was baptised on 29 October 1872 in Harrington Street RC parish, Dublin, her parents were recorded as Robert Joseph Graham and Elizabeth O'Toole of 47 Cuffe Street:
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=harrington-street_mf_1865-1890_ba_0170

Are you sure about this date of baptism ? Because the 1901 and 1911 census have her birth year being 1878 and she can't have been baptised before she was born 😄