Author Topic: William and Harriet Davies (nee Davies) - Bagilit  (Read 4016 times)

Offline garymcuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William and Harriet Davies (nee Davies) - Bagilit
« on: Thursday 08 July 10 14:47 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any details of William Davies (born abt 1856) and Harriet Davies (born abt 1864), prior to their marriage in St Mary's Church in Bagilit in 1881, they had 5 children most of which were born in Ashton-in-Makerfield.

I know that William's father is James Davies, from memory I think he was a sawyer (I don't have the marriage record to hand).

Harriet's father is Edward Davies and he was a smelter.

I'm 95% certain that Harriet was born in Bagilit, however William may have been somewhere else in Holywell as in the 1891 census their birthplaces differ.  I also suspect they still had family in the area in 1895, as their son Joseph Edward Davies was born in Holywell, as where most of his elder and younger siblings were born in Ashton-in-Makerfield.

If anyone has any information on either of them or can help me narrow down which William Davies I'm looking for I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William and Harriet Davies (nee Davies) - Bagilit
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 July 10 14:53 BST (UK) »
I can't help you with this generation, you will need a look up in the record office or order certs or figure it out from the census, but when you get a generation back I will be more than happy to look any relatives up in my copies of parish records. Good Luck

Sarah  ;D
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 July 10 16:29 BST (UK) »
I can't find William Davies with his parents - I think the only census he would be with parents is 1861

but this looks a strong contender for him

1901 census William and Harriett have a visitor  Susannah Griffiths married 27 b Holywell Flints

I think Susannah Griffiths is William's neice (maiden name Hughes)

If you take a look at 1881 census (free at family search)
RG11 5503 68 27
living in Bagillt is Edward and Isabella Hughes (Isabella age 38 b Holywell) and their children -one of the children is Susannah Hughes age 8 b bagillt(who I am assuming is Susannah Griffiths in 1901) and WILLIAM DAVIES brother unmarried 25 Coal Miner b Greenfield Flints
I am assuming it is Isabella who is William's sister

this looks like William
Brynford St
William Davies servant 14 Carter b Greenfield Flints

RG10 5640 69 23

I can't find him in 1861 but this looks like Isabella with parents in 1851
Tywn y Proll?
Ysceifiog
Flints
James Davies head M 31 Lead miner
Maria wife 33
Isabella daughter 8
Joseph son 5
Esther daughter 2
Mary Elizth daughter 5 mths
all b Ysceifiog Flints
HO107 2500 708 14

then 1871
Bagillt Rd Bagillt Flints
James Davies head M 55 labourer
Maria wife 54
Ann E Foulkes granddaughter 2
Edward davies Lodger U 35 collier

all b Holywell Flints
RG10 5641 64 8

If you require fuller census please ask

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 July 10 16:44 BST (UK) »
I think Harriett can be found in 1881 in Bagillt with Grandparents Roger and Harriet Davies and her widiwer father Edward davis age 41 Coal Miner b Bagillt
RG11 5503 62 15

I can find Roger and harriet in 1841/51/61 but not 71???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 July 10 18:32 BST (UK) »
Parts of Greenfield are missing in 1861 so might well be why you can not find them, bit concerned about the Holywell & Ysceifiog place of birth, although they were neighbouring parishes it is unusual to see both quoted
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 July 10 10:15 BST (UK) »
I quite agree rah1980 but then it is not uncommon on census for all the family just to be given the place where they were living as p.o.b.

Suz

Offline garymcuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 July 10 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks suzard, that has really helped.  I now know William Davies' parents are James Davies and Maria Williams, I've also found their marriage record in the BMD index (1838 in Holywell).

I've also got some leads on potential parents for James and Maria from baptism records, I should be able to confirm this when I see the marriage details.

As for Harriet, I'm on a short list of potential birth records.  As I've seen no mention of a middle name, I'm really between 2 and I'm fairly sure my Harriet Davies was born in 1864, so I'll probably take a chance on the correct birth cert, I really need a certificate or baptism record for her to find out her mothers name.

I pursued the grandparents you've mentioned a few weeks back, but I gave up as I'm not certain that is the correct family at the moment.  I really need a birth record and the a look at the marriage record for Harriets parents to confirm.

Offline Megran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 July 10 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The NWBMD website has a marriage for James Davies to Maria Williams 1838 at Ysceifiog, St Mary.
Regards,
Megran.

Added - Holywell is the Registration District for the marriage.
Caunt - Manchester & area, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire.
Edwards - Cheshire, Denbighshire, Manchester
Lloyd - Marbury area,Cheshire
Isherwood - Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire
Vaughan - Marbury area, Cheshire
Walker - Manchester/Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire

Offline waleslot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 December 10 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I think the William and Harriet Davies you refer to are my great grandparents.  They moved from Wales to Ashton in Makerfield around turn of 20th century.  Their daughter Maria Elizabeth was my grandmother and her daughter Maria was my mother.  After William died Harriet remarried to a Mr Jones.   I have only just started to look at the Wales side of the family and was amazed to find these details.  I could be wrong but I don't think I am.