Author Topic: Shudall Family  (Read 30992 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shudall Family
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 01 November 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
sponsors  Joanna Lumley and ? Walsh

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 01 November 18 14:47 GMT (UK) »

I did not want to pre-empt your interpretation - I agree Johana Lumley - now I think that is in fact John Lumley (who was the brother of William - Lilian's father). You do agree it was Lillian that was being baptised. I still can't quite decipher who her mother was (I have a hunch but would like your view). Maria (Mary) Corcoran or Coughlin is how I read it. Any advances on that

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 01 November 18 21:11 GMT (UK) »

I did not want to pre-empt your interpretation - I agree Johana Lumley - now I think that is in fact John Lumley (who was the brother of William - Lilian's father). You do agree it was Lillian that was being baptised. I still can't quite decipher who her mother was (I have a hunch but would like your view). Maria (Mary) Corcoran or Coughlin is how I read it. Any advances on that

It would be very helpful if all parish register extracts could come with a comment on where they are from. I can't tell readily, and even though I know it is almost certain to be found somewhere in this long thread, I don't have the energy to read the whole thing to find out....
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 01 November 18 22:14 GMT (UK) »

The baptism was found in the Holy Trinity, Waterford Register - dated November 1822

It would be very helpful if all parish register extracts could come with a comment on where they are from. I can't tell readily, and even though I know it is almost certain to be found somewhere in this long thread, I don't have the energy to read the whole thing to find out....

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 01 November 18 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the 1822 baptism in Waterford, some folks are misreading, by including material from a separate entry in the second column. There are two columns on this page!
I make the entry to be:

26. Bapt. Lillian Lumley, f. lig. Gulielmi Lumley et Maria Mauguire.  Johani Lumley & Maria Ana Brown Sus.
  J. Burke (Priest's signature)

That translates and expands to

26th [of November] Baptized Lillian Lumley, legitimate daughter of William Lumley and Mary Maguire [or McGuire, etc]. Godparents (literally "helpers") John Lumley and Mary Ann Brown.
   J. Burke

Note that the mother's surname does not begin with a capital C. There are examples of C elsewhere on the page, and they are clearly different. It is an "M," as in several other examples.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Lea.searching

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sunday 23 April 23 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm late to the Shudall game but my 3rd great grandmother was Ellanore Shudall. She was born in Wexford in 1835 and died there also, 1875. She married Timothy McGrath (1831-1865) but we don't know the marriage date. Any info or direction is greatly appreciated. My cousins and I have been working on this line for years and are stuck on this one.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm late to the Shudall game but my 3rd great grandmother was Ellanore Shudall. She was born in Wexford in 1835 and died there also, 1875. She married Timothy McGrath (1831-1865) but we don't know the marriage date. Any info or direction is greatly appreciated. My cousins and I have been working on this line for years and are stuck on this one.

Wexford meaning Wexford town, or Co. Wexford? Just "Wexford" usually means the town.

Presumably you know where they lived - townland/parish?
Who were the children, when/where were they born?

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Married what looks to be December 23th, 1851, in the parish of Bannow (Carrick-on-Bannow).
It is the last marriage of 1851 in the parish register:
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634018#page/117/mode/1up

Addresses given for both parties, though difficult to read.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 00:58 BST (UK) »
Note that there is also an 1859 marriage of a second Ellinora Shudall in the same parish. So an 1835 baptism for an Elinora Shudall - assuming that OP has found such - may well be for this later Ellinora.