Author Topic: 1881 how to get family all born in same place?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Jane MB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1881 how to get family all born in same place?
« on: Wednesday 30 March 05 21:54 BST (UK) »
I may be asking something obvious or something really silly, but here goes!

Is there a way of collecting all family with the same surname and who are all born in the same place using the 1881 census on line?

I have tried to gather as many Manley names when searching under born in Devon. I did not put in the village name of Hemyock as it is often spelt incorrectly (although that is what I really wanted to do).
I selected some as a report option (took ages as so many listed to look through) and saved, and then sorted into Date of birth order (using cut and paste- this took even longer).
I'm not even sure if I got them all.

Is there some easier method?!?

At least I can hide my red face behind this text, if I am asking something ridiculous.

thanks for any help
jane

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 how to get family all born in same place?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 22:29 BST (UK) »
Jane,
  You can try using the village name hem*k in the search keywords box, although then you rely on them giving the village rather than the larger town's name as birthplace. I can't think of any other obvious way.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 22:31 BST (UK) »
 ??? Don't know, Jane, but the CD index tells me there are 674 in the whole of the UK who were born in Devon, birth dates ranging from 1797 to 1881. 488 of them still live in Devon, 51 live in Somerset, 3 in Cornwall, 5 in Dorset, 5 in Gloucester, and the other 122 in various other counties.  Does that help at all?  If you would like me to try and sort out Hemyock as a birth place let me know.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane MB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 March 05 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Nell
I would be very grateful if you could find all those that were born in Hemyock, Devon.

I know some of them moved to Somerset(just down the road) and have been told that Hemyock appears on the Wellington, Somerset census area.

I have seen some mis spellings of Hemyock eg Thernyock (those who moved to Derby), Hemyioke (some in Wales)and Hernyock. I suppose it depends on the way you say it!

Thank you for taking the time to help me.
jane
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 March 05 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

I've found 29 born in Hemyock in the south-western region (inc Somerset etc), but have not tried any variations of the spelling yet.  If you pm me your e-mail address, as I sort them out I can send them to you as a text file.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk