Author Topic: George LEWTON and Annie CREW  (Read 5137 times)

Offline holbrookm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lewton
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 17:32 BST (UK) »
To confirm marriage cert of George Lewton & Matilda Hunt:
Father's Names, Surnames & Professions:
George Lewton - George Lewton - Miner
Matilda Hunt - Thomas Hunt - Shoemaker

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 17:35 BST (UK) »
The only way to confirm if I have the right parents for George b 1836 is to buy a copy of his marriage cert to Ann Crew

Marriages March qtr 1859 

Ann Crew    Keynsham  5c 1125   
George Lewton     

If it shows his father as Ambrose - then I'm on the right track  EDIT - marriage cert confirms fathers name was Ambrose

If it doesn't - then it's back to the drawing board!!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 17:49 BST (UK) »
Going back to the 1841 Poorhouse entry I posted  -  I don't think that is the right George Lewton unless his birthplace is wrong from 1861 onwards so you are definitely going to need his 1859 marriage cert for his fathers name

The Sarah Lewton I found in the Poorhouse in 1841 re-married to William Bessell in 1845

In 1851 - the Lewton children are incorrectly shown as Bessell but son George and siblings are shown as b London Middlesex
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline holbrookm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi - It worries me that when I search on the 1881 census, for George Lewton born in 1859, it brings up a family living at 24 Derby St, St George, Bristol.
Several years ago, someone contacted me through Genes Reunited - she had this George Lewton in her tree, married to Lillie Hope at this address, with 8 children.  Do you think there is any link with my tree?

Offline holbrookm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 18:06 BST (UK) »
I think you are right about needing George Lewton (1835/6) & Annie Crew's marriage certificate.
Can you tell me how to get one?
(I only have a couple of certificates, which were given to me by my sister, so have never bought any.)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 18:41 BST (UK) »
You can order one online direct from the GRO (General Register Office) and they now cost £9.25 each inc postage

Here's the link to their website but you will have to register first so click on the "Register/Login" option on the right hand side of the screen

www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

When you get round to selecting to buy a marriage cert - it will ask if you have the GRO reference number so make sure you answer yes

March quarter 1859

District = Keynsham

Volume = 5C

Page = 1125

Keep this post open and when you get the cert - post the details from it

I will get a notification from RC so will take it from there

I have struck through the 1841 details etc in my other replies to avoid any confusion

she had this George Lewton in her tree, married to Lillie Hope at this address, with 8 children.  Do you think there is any link with my tree?

I'll let you know when you get the marriage cert but remember there were 2 George Lewton births in 1859 in Keynsham.  I suspect the one who married Lilly was the one whose parents were Frederick & Caroline

Offline holbrookm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 19:10 BST (UK) »
I've ordered the certificate - thanks for your help!
I'll let you know as soon as it arrives!!
Thanks again for all your help!

Offline holbrookm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 21:59 BST (UK) »
Looking at your answer no 8 (sorry I don't know how you do the quotes), you were looking at George Lewton born in Wormley, Gloucester (I think this means Warmley). 

In the 1881 census of households, it shows George (born in Wormley) & Matilda Lewton with a child Ellen (1 year old), all living Nr the post office, in Bristol, St George, Gloucester. 
I know that they had at least 3 children - George (1881), Bert and Ellen, but I don't know any more details.

PS Have you a link to other census dates? - I only have the one for 1881?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 23:22 BST (UK) »
If you look at replies 2 and 3 - the references to each of the census details is shown - it begins RG

I did not continue after 1881 as you had me totally confused when I did not find George Thomas b 1881 living with George and Ann (Crew) who you originally said were his parents

This is the 1901 census entry - all surname Wilshire unless shown otherwise and all shown as b Bristol St George

Frederick Wilshire 40 labourer
Matilda   39
Ellen Lewton 21 step dtr
George Lewton 19 step son
Arthur   14
May   12
Alice   11
Elsie  9
Olive   8
Frederick   6
Gladys   4
Thomas 3
Walter  11 months
RG13 Piece 2392 Folio 112 Page 18

In 1891 - they are all shown as Wilshire (indexed as Wiltshire) and all birthplaces are Bristol St George

Frederick Wilshire 35 tailors labourer
Matilda   29
Ellen   11
George   9
Bertie   8
Arthur   4
Florence  2
Alice   1
RG12 Piece 1978 Folio122 Page 26