Author Topic: Look up, please - baptism at North Harborne (now Smethwick)  (Read 1430 times)

Offline judijee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up, please - baptism at North Harborne (now Smethwick)
« on: Sunday 11 July 10 17:21 BST (UK) »
I am searching for details of a baptism at St Peter's parish church, North Harborne.  The parish was formerly in Staffordshire and used to cover what is now Smethwick, all of modern-day Harborne, and Ridgeacre in Halesowen.  The baptism was that of ELIZA EYRE on 24 May 1846, and the parents were William and Eliza Eyre.
Many thanks - judijee.
ANDERTON - Solihull; BAINES - Montgomeryshire; BEASTALL - Lincolnshire; BEMBRIDGE - Nottingham; BRADLEY - Dudley; BRATT - Bilston; DABBS - Wellington, Shropshire; EYRE - Nottingham and Birmingham; FENN - Bilston; FENNYHOUSE - Staffordshire; FERRINGTON - Bilston; FITCH - Norwich; FOWLER - Bilston; GLOVER - Walsall and Birmingham; JOHNSON - Cheshire, Stoke-on-Trent, Wolverhampton, Wombourne; SHALE - Bilston; SHELTON - Wheaton Aston, Wolverhampton; TUFFT - Wolverhampton; WARD - Dudley

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Look up, please - baptism at North Harborne (now Smethwick)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 July 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

What additional info are you hoping to find from the record?  The most will be their address at that time and William's occupation
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 July 10 08:19 BST (UK) »
Have you got the family on the 1841 and 1851 Census Judijee, that will give you more information than the Baptism.  Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline judijee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 July 10 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW and linell

Thanks for your response.  I am hoping that the address and father's occupation details for this baptism will confirm that the child's father was my own forebear, who worked variously as a framework knitter and a toll-gate keeper.  In both 1841 and 1851 he and his wife Eliza were living in Nottingham (no children shown on the censuses) but in 1858 their only surviving son was born at Ridgeacre (then part of North Harborne parish) which gives me the connection.  I know that William and Eliza moved around the Midlands, so this baptism for a daughter in 1846 at North Harborne would make sense.  Also, a relation of Eliza Eyre was toll-gate keeper at Wood End, Lichfield, in the 1840s.  Unfortunately, there appears to be no registration for the birth of a daughter to William and Eliza Eyre in 1846.

I would be most grateful for any help.

- judijee
ANDERTON - Solihull; BAINES - Montgomeryshire; BEASTALL - Lincolnshire; BEMBRIDGE - Nottingham; BRADLEY - Dudley; BRATT - Bilston; DABBS - Wellington, Shropshire; EYRE - Nottingham and Birmingham; FENN - Bilston; FENNYHOUSE - Staffordshire; FERRINGTON - Bilston; FITCH - Norwich; FOWLER - Bilston; GLOVER - Walsall and Birmingham; JOHNSON - Cheshire, Stoke-on-Trent, Wolverhampton, Wombourne; SHALE - Bilston; SHELTON - Wheaton Aston, Wolverhampton; TUFFT - Wolverhampton; WARD - Dudley

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 July 10 10:52 BST (UK) »
Judi you can write to Sandwell Archives for a small fee, about £3.00 they will send you a print out of the baptism.

Good luck from Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline judijee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 July 10 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Linell.  I've just taken a look at the Sandwell archives site and can't see St Peter's Harborne among the churches listed there.  I know Birmingham Archives hold the parish registers for that particular church, so my best bet is to contact their genealogist.

Cheers

- judijee

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 July 10 20:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Linell.  I've just taken a look at the Sandwell archives site and can't see St Peter's Harborne among the churches listed there.  I know Birmingham Archives hold the parish registers for that particular church, so my best bet is to contact their genealogist.

Cheers

- judijee

Hi judijee, yes could be at B'ham now, you need to give them the names and the date etc.  Happy hunting from Linell.