Author Topic: Info needed Cunningham Rae / Agnes Duncan married 12th Oct 1777  (Read 18792 times)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Info needed Cunningham Rae / Agnes Duncan married 12th Oct 1777
« Reply #45 on: Monday 23 November 20 03:42 GMT (UK) »
I think the assumption made by SP that Margaret’s baptism was 1852, is not correct.
According to census data, William was born about 1852, and Margaret came after him, about 1854.
That makes me wonder if (rather than damage), there are pages missing from the original register, so it makes the dates impossible to confirm.

But by checking the other names on the same page as Margaret against the census, one should be able to come up with a firm year.

I agree, I checked my Isle of Man research which seems to bear this out also. I'll post the results for both William and Margaret in separate posts next.

Margaret  :D
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 23 November 20 03:53 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to narrow down William Rae's birth year using all the available information thus far:
From ManxBMD death index  William died 1932 Arbory aged 81 years. I have a copies of an Isle of Man newspaper obituary and another relating to his Estate confirming that he died 1 Dec 1932 and  the funeral took place on Sunday 4 December 1932 at Rushen IOM Churchyard.

Census
1861 Scotland      –  7 April     - age 9     born Kirkcudbright Scotland 
1871 Isle of Man   –  2 April     - age 19   Single  no birthplace recorded             
1881 Isle of Man   – 3 April      - age 29   Married born Kirkcudbright Scotland               
1891 Isle of Man   – 5 April      - age 38   Married  born Scotland               
1901 Isle of Man   – 31 March  - age 50   Widower born Scotland         
1911 Isle of Man  –  2 April      - age 60   Widower born Kirkcudbright Scotland 

1901 and 1911  cenuses William was an Inn Keeper of Shore Hotel Port St Mary, Isle of Man and Sea Mount Port St Mary.

Margaret
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 23 November 20 04:01 GMT (UK) »
....William's wife, Isabella nee Cannell died in 1892 leaving William with 6 children ranging in age from 11 months - 11 years.   On 1901 Isle of Man census Margaret was living with William and the children. She is enumerated as his sister 48 years Housekeeper born Scotland. She was still with them in 1911-  Margrett Rae  Sister  58  Single Housekeeper born Kirkcudbright Scotland.

From ManxBMD death index Margaret died in Rushen Isle of Man in 1927 aged 73 years. From newspaper obituary, Miss Margaret Rae, sister of Mr Rae of Sea Mount Port St Mary  died Thurs 3rd Feb 1927 for interment Sun 6 Feb 1927 at Rushen Churchyard.

As William didn't die until 1932, he may well have been the informant on her death certificate which may hopefully include Cunningham Rae and Grace Logan  as their parents, therefore, I will need to order both death certificates for William and Margaret - finances permitting.

It would be interesting to see where Margaret was living between 1871 - 1891 incl.

Margaret  :D

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 23 November 20 04:03 GMT (UK) »
.....I'll see what else I can find.

Margaret

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 23 November 20 21:39 GMT (UK) »
1881 Census has a Margaret Rae (27) born 1854 Kirkenlight possibly Kirkcudbright, living with a Fildes family as a servant/cook at Lytham, Lancashire. There is also Margaret Ray (17) servant, 1871 Census at Ditton, Lancashire but birth place is only given as Scotland.
hmcc.

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 23 November 20 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you hmcc for looking for Margaret - these look promising - she may well have ventured to Lancs in search of work.

I forgot to mention that I don't have the Scotland 1871 census for her parents Cunningham Rae b.1808 Rerrick, Kirkcudbrightshire and Grace b. abt 1826 Kirkinner, Wigtown. She was not with them in 1881 and 1891 censuses.

Thanks again

Margaret

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Rae is still with parents in 1871 Census, you can disregard the 1871 census for Lancashire in my last post.
Cunningham (58), Grace (48), Margaret (17), Ann (14), James (11),Jane (6) and Agnes (3) Kirkcudbright on SP.
hmcc.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Possible for Margaret Rae in 1891 is as a cook domestic at Clunes House, Kirkhill, Invernesshire . This could follow on from the 1881 census entry found by hmcc as there is a death for Thomas Fildes in 1887 and so Margaret might have needed to seek a new position. ( Also worth noting that Thomas Fildes widow, Jessie, who rapidly remarried, seems to have been born in Kirkcudbrightshire).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Rae is still with parents in 1871 Census, you can disregard the 1871 census for Lancashire in my last post.
Cunningham (58), Grace (48), Margaret (17), Ann (14), James (11),Jane (6) and Agnes (3) Kirkcudbright on SP.
hmcc.

Thank you hmcc - I'm so sorry for my omission about the 1871 census. I really appreciate you looking again and finding her still with her family in Kirkcudbright.

Margaret

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx