Author Topic: Heir Hunters  (Read 20183 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Heir Hunters
« Reply #27 on: Monday 09 March 15 10:02 GMT (UK) »
It's also done to make us shout at the TV Carol  ;D

Sorry but as Carol says its a common TV device and one the channel likes - we know it annoys some of you - we have however tried to ensure the recap is at a minimum so we don't repeat so much

Yes its like by programme makers but detested by audiences, making many switch over as the programme turns into three quarters of an hour of repeats and adverts with about ten minutes of real content.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 09 March 15 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Have they solved many of them due to the publicity of the Heir Hunters programmes?

It would be good to know if the ones featured/advertised asking for people/relatives to get in touch are ever successful  ???

Annie.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 March 15 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Have they solved many of them due to the publicity of the Heir Hunters programmes?

It would be good to know if the ones featured/advertised asking for people/relatives to get in touch are ever successful  ???

Annie.

That's what I wondered Annie,and even if it has encouraged more people to have a look at the Bona Vacantia list too.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 09 March 15 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I found it (I am afraid !!!) too boring to continue watching....... :(  I have the series taped - but keep flicking past them and not bothering to watch. 
I do love the whole idea - and enjoy the discovery of finding the rellies, etc... I do not like to listen to the ''''sorry waffle'''' by the researchers................ whoops ..........

just my opinion - maybe I am being unfair. and the prog is not just for - people like us - who KNOW how to research etc etc etc...
Therefore it could possibly help and or encourage - newbie- researchers. 

I may pick it up again and just flick through the bits I do not like.

xin

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 09 March 15 16:10 GMT (UK) »
It's also done to make us shout at the TV Carol  ;D

Sorry but as Carol says its a common TV device and one the channel likes - we know it annoys some of you - we have however tried to ensure the recap is at a minimum so we don't repeat so much

I have recently been watching some programmes (originally made by the BBC as 58 minute programmes) on a commercial channel available on Freeview. To fit in the advert breaks these programmes have to be edited down to 45 minutes. I believe that the recaps are there as fillers and designed to be edited out without losing any substantial content when the product is sold on.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 12 March 15 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Today, the programme  makers, having  made a very tenuous  and rather pointless link to the murders in 10 Rillington Place by John Christie. I would have expected them to have included the fact that an innocent man, Timothy Evans, went to the gallows for the murder of his wife, later found to have been committed by Christie. Obviously because he was intellectually challenged, he was not considered worthy of a mention.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 16 March 15 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I was interested in today's (16/3/2015) case of Ellen Bulling as she had different names for her father on her birth certificate and marriage certificate and I wanted to see how they resolved the issue as to who should inherit. However, unless I missed it, that was not made clear in the programme (just viewed it on BBc iplayer).

Did anyone else see the programme and whether they did actually give a definitive answer, but I just missed it ?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 16 March 15 18:47 GMT (UK) »
They are going to do DNA to establish paternity   ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 16 March 15 18:51 GMT (UK) »
They are going to do DNA to establish paternity   ;)

Annie

I too missed how they were going to resolve it.

I also missed the DNA idea though- although I did think of it myself whilst watching the programme.

Would that mean they have to take DNA from the deceased lady ?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk