Author Topic: Hogan,Borris, Corries. Doyle,Ballindaggin.  (Read 5206 times)

Offline Wicklowman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hogan,Borris, Corries. Doyle,Ballindaggin.
« on: Tuesday 13 July 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on the Hogan family who lived in No. 27 Lower Borris from the late 1800's onwards.  The Hogans ran the filling station on the Main Street until the 1970's. Behind the station they ran a motor garage. It was previously a forge and coach builders started by my GG Grandfather Edward (Ned) Hogan (1875-1948) who was born in Corries. He was married to Mary Ellen Doyle (1877-1962) who was born in Ballymana,Ballindaggin.

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hogan,Borris, Corries. Doyle,Ballindaggin.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 July 10 23:54 BST (UK) »
hi
don't know if you've taken a look at the census for ireland online, but in 27 lr borris, there is no hogans. Edward hogan though, who was 25 at the time in 1901 was living at number 4 upr borris with his wife ellen and their son patrick who was two at the time.
There is a patrick living as a boarder in number 11 lr borris, could be a brother?
As well there are a total of 23 hogans living in the civil parish of borris in 1901.
I was in borris a while back, and there is a wonderful cemetery, just about a mile out called clonagoose, if you are down that neck of the woods it is well worth a look, this is of course the older cemetery, there is a new one too.
1911 census, edward now had four child with the names, john joseph, winifred, cathleen and of course, patrick. Now they live at number 28 lr borris, though there are only 21 hogans in the borris area then.
you also said that ned was born in corries, it's not knoclonagad by any chance? there is an owen and mary(nee nolan) hogan living there in 1911 born 1830 and1841 respectively. If that is the case, we would have a connection though quite distant, as my family, the currans, are from there and drumphea, just 1 mile away. There are hogans and currans that have married down there.  if he was from knoclonagad, there are lots of hogans buried in drumphea.
i hope this has been some help to you, and if you'd like some more, i'm sure i can try.
all the best
pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
mills, kildare and queens
jones, Caernarvonshire
brophy, carlow and dublin
o'rorke galway and carlow and laois
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 July 10 00:07 BST (UK) »
Just looking further through my own records, and I have two GG uncles who were married to hogans and lived in knoclonagad, in fact one of their children ahd two hogan sponsors for their christening, in the shape of pat and judith hogan. this christening was in 1847.Ring any bells?
all the best
pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
jones, Caernarvonshire
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline Wicklowman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hogans of Drumphea and knoclonagad
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Pete,

I have Hogans listed for both Drumphea and Knoclonagad. James Hogan 1795-1855 married Mary Murphy 1809-1855. They had 5 children, Patrick 1831-1921, Thomas 1840-1914, James 1836-1930, Elizabeth and Mary 1843-1871.
Patrick married Bridget Kavanagh 1837-1913. Thomas married Bridget Maher 1846-1910.James married Mary Anne ????  1847-1929. I have no details on Elizabeth Hogan, Mary Hogan or Mary Anne's surname. Do you have any Currans that married these names?

Thanks.

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 21:23 BST (UK) »
hi
I have a Daniel Curran who was born in 1847, knoclonagad, his mother was Mary Hogan and Michael Curran.
It doesn't say where mary is from, or whether this was her first child, so we'll assume she was aboout 25, so born around 1822ish.
Next is another Mary Hogan, who was married to Patrick Curran, there married home was knoclonagad, and they had two daughters, Bridget and winifred Curran born 1848 and 1849 respectively. she could be born around the 1820's too.
I don't think they are the ones you speak of, but they are definitely connected to you.
I have more, as i am transcribing parish records for Myshall, but it is a very slow process, as i only get a few days in the year to do it. but i will fill you in on what i know on a later date.
all the best
pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
jones, Caernarvonshire
taylor, london