Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 8 Episode #1: - Bruce Forsyth  (Read 48812 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are 8 - Bruce Forsyth
« Reply #36 on: Friday 16 July 10 09:59 BST (UK) »
He is OK and you can't deny that he has done well to still be in the entertainment business after all these years but for someone to not watch the show because they don't like him is plain daft, this is going to be about his family, not him.

I couldn't agree more.  Of course Bruce has some annoying habits, but don't we all when we reach 80 (if we are lucky enough to make it !) ?  I'm a mere youngster of 62, and I can remember watching Bruce on TV at the London Palladium on Sunday nights when I was 8 years old.  54 years on, and he knocks spots off me with his physical fitness.  How many 80+ year olds do you know that could work a 16 hour day ?

Anyway, what endears Bruce to many these days is the British royal family's and government's continual refusal to give Bruce the recognition he deserves in the form of a knighthood ?  Especially when they can hand out honours to bully boys like John Prescott.  Bruce and his wife have done a lot for charity, but they don't shout about it.

My wife watched a programme called "Living with Brucie" on Channel 4 last night.  Although I was using the computer at the time I could not miss hearing him being overbearing, getting his own way and in one incident having quite a hissy fit with one of the locals near his house in Porto Rica.  He came over as not a particularly likeable man.

I saw that too.  The hissy fit wasn't with one of the locals - it was with one of the security guards that he and the other residents pay to guard the estate.  This particular guard had driven his 4x4 directly across the path of Bruce's golf buggy, causing him to swerve.  He was completely justified in his stance.  The people in that complex probably shell out a lot of money every year to pay these people.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing Bruce's ancestry.  As far as I'm concerned, it's not a requirement to like the person on the show to be able to enjoy it, and I think we ought to stop this childish character assasination of the forthcoming subjects on the show.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 16 July 10 10:45 BST (UK) »
Alan Cumming (Take The High Road, X-Men 2)

Can't wait to see his. Loved the High Life! Hope they focus on his Scottish lines.  ;D

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 16 July 10 10:54 BST (UK) »
i didn't realise there was a new series starting monday unitl last night who else is up?

apologies should have read the whole thread not just the first page  :-[
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 16 July 10 11:44 BST (UK) »
Its not a fact of character assasination........ it is just opinions and it doesnt hurt sometimes to speak as you feel... I am sure Bruce wouldnt. 

I am looking forward to all of the new shows, even tho there are one or two  I either dont know or dont particularly like.

xin

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 16 July 10 11:56 BST (UK) »
Well I will watch.  Its interesting to see what is found about the ancestors and roots of these celebrities (regardless of whether I like them or not).  I watch in the hope that they may find a source that I didn't know about before that could have the potential to knock down some brickwalls for me.
What I would really, really like is a series breaking down the brickwalls for amateur genealogists.  No chance of that though.
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 16 July 10 11:58 BST (UK) »

•Hugh Quarshie (Holby City)

Oh! Hugh Quarshie! Be still my fluttering heart!   :D  I shall have to record that one as I won't take much in first time round! That man has the sexiest voice on earth.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline speedwobble

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 16 July 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
Surely the interest in genealogy that these shows have created would suggest that making a program to help amateurs would be a good idea.  I am looking forward to the Dervla Kerwin program, not because I particularly like her but it may help with the difficulties we have researching Irish ancestors.  Anything that may shed some light on how I find more information (apart from the great help I've found on this site) is a good thing.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 16 July 10 12:19 BST (UK) »
This particular guard had driven his 4x4 directly across the path of Bruce's golf buggy, causing him to swerve.

The security guard did end up apologising to Bruce and his wife for the drastic action he took in trying to stop their golf cart.

When the Generation Game was on televsion - Bruce was the hottest thing on television - it's sad to hear all this constant critism of him now.  83 years old and in good health with a beautiful wife half his age.  I guess he can live all the carping and jibes.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 16 July 10 13:01 BST (UK) »
My only gripe about next Monday is that at 9pm there are 3 prorammes on at the same time that I really want to watch:
WDYTYA  BBC1  -  Identity  ITV1  -  And an excellent channel 4 prog re war graves from WW1

and would you believe it not one of them is repeated at all during the week, unlike many others. Oh & the channel 4 one is 1 1/2 hrs long and thus cannot be recorded as it clashes with 2 others I am "sky+ing" at 10pm.

OOOH I could scream  ;D
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)