Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 8 Episode #1: - Bruce Forsyth  (Read 48795 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are 8 - Bruce Forsyth
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 06:34 BST (UK) »
It was a good show, I thought a Bruce was really interested.
I know they held back his death in new york, which I am sure they could've mentioned before, but they're making a show

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 07:35 BST (UK) »
Mmmmmm.......looks like Find-a-Grave would have been helpful to the researchers:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=38916259

and wiki....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Forsyth_Johnson

Wonder how much the family really didn't know?

I can't believe that Bruce would not know that "his great-great-great-great grandfather William Forsyth (1737–1804) was a founder of the Royal Horticultural Society and the namesake of the plant genus Forsythia" (Wiki), and not want to talk about it.

I enjoyed the programme, but I think they concentrated on his grandfather for far too long.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 07:58 BST (UK) »
I too enjoyed the programme- Bruce came across as genuinely interested and didn't make it too much me me me as I thought he would  :D

Sadly I think that is the way these programmes are going Nick- all about one person(a la USA version) rather than taking into account both sides of where a person came from, as they did in the early series.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 08:07 BST (UK) »
Well, I enjoyed the programme. Bruce seemed really interested, and it was very touching when we heard that he was going to provide a headstone.
I agree with Lydart and wondered why they did not look for Joseph in the 1901 census.
They might have discovered a third 'marriage' !
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline camille

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 08:07 BST (UK) »
was a good show next week its rupert everett in fact this series looks like it could be a good one looking forward to watching ...

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 08:11 BST (UK) »
This 2006 article, by Nick Barrett, indicates that little of last night's information was new to Bruce, although it is possible that some of the programme (or perhaps the research) was done some time ago
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1435131/Family-detective-Bruce-Forsyth.html

But it was an interesting programme

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 08:43 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed it - but then, I like old Brucie anyway. He's akin to the likes of June (why isn't she a Dame yet  ???) Whitfield, Roy Hudd and Barry Cryer.   We grew up with people like them entertaining us, and now they're just like the dotty old relative we all have, who cracks the same old lame jokes year in year out, and has you all singing old songs at family gatherings and talking about the old times. And I can't help having a soft spot for him.

And, I know this sounds awful, but I was kind of glad old Joseph ended up alone and virtually penniless having left two women and a bunch of children the same way for much of his life. But I'm glad Bruce is giving him a headstone - I hope one day to do the same for the many in my family whose time on this earth has gone unmarked and virtually unnoticed.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 08:58 BST (UK) »
I'm not a Brucie fan, but this was an extremely good episode. I did wonder a bit about the order the research was done in, seemed a bit inconsistent to me,  but hey it's for TV. One of the final shots of a pensive Bruce in the cemetery was very poignant.

It makes you wonder how much trust we place in the primary source evidence. Bruce's family were side-tracked by conflicting evidence.
I'm starting to wonder about all those censuses which have "widow" on them Can I trust what they say?  :o

A relative of mine found his way somehow from London to South Wales and met his partner. They moved to Ashton under Lyme and had their first child. They lied about his age, changed their name for one census, moved again to register the birth and gave a false mother's name on his birth certificate. Second child was born in Kidderminster. Later censuses gave conflicting names. Later discovered the woman was married and traced her husband on the census where he described himself as a widower. In the meantime , my pair serttled down in London and lived "happily ever after". This research, by the way, would never have been completed without the help Rottschatters! The moral of the story, though, is that Widow or Widower might hide separations or family break-ups in the days when divorce was not an option for the ordinary working people, so always check the preceding decade for a death certificate before making any assumptions  :D
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 09:04 BST (UK) »
Agree Ann :) :)
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth