Author Topic: Sullivan's of Louth  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Clones1818

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sullivan's of Louth
« on: Wednesday 14 July 10 13:17 BST (UK) »
I am having trouble finding Irish records of my Sullivan/O'Sullivan ancestors from county Louth.

My 4*great grandfather was Bernard/Barnard Sullivan/O'Sullivan born about 1825/26 county Louth.  His parents were Patrick and Bridget also both born county Louth.  I have tried to find on the IFHF site a baptism record for Bernard and a marriage record for Patrick and Bridget but I have had no luck.

The Griffiths Valuation isn't much use as Bernard was in Edinburgh from 1845 to 1849, Newcastle upon Tyne in late April 1851, Gateshead in 1852 and Bernard, Patrick and Bridget were all living in North Shields on the 1861 census.  I have been unable to find them on the 1851 census in either Scotland or England.

Is anyone able to look for a Patrick Sullivan/O'Sullivan on the tithe applotment indexes/tithe defaulter lists or are able to find church records or suggest anything else?  I mainly want to find the parish/townland plus any other relatives of theirs.

Thanks

Steve

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Sullivan's of Louth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
The IFHF only has RC records for Co. Louth.. so if your Sullivan's were Church of Ireland for example they would not be included. Another point to note is that not all RC parishes have records going back to the 1820s and earlier - so you may be searching for a record that doesn't exist.

The Tithe records are available in the National Library in Dublin, but I dont think they are available online anywhere.  Records of defaulters for some counties are included on some websites.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Clones1818

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sullivan's of Louth
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 18:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks

Bernard's children were all Roman Catholic so I am assuming he and his parents were also however if the IFHF ever put the Church of Ireland records for Louth online I will double-check this.  It looks like the tithe applotments are probably my last chance at a clue although there will most likely be more than one Patrick Sullivan in the county.

There were Sullivan's in the parishes of Kilsaran and Tullyallen/Mellifont.  Typically there is a gap in the baptisms from 1825 to 1831 for Kilsaran.  A Patrick Sullivan married there in 1821 but this was to a Mary Cavanagh according to the IFHF site.

Here's hoping someone will index the tithe applotments online soon as I also want to see the county Cavan tithes index.