Author Topic: Langton(s) House, Alresford  (Read 4248 times)

Offline LizK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Langton(s) House, Alresford
« on: Wednesday 14 July 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

My uncle has just got his full birth certificate and its says he was born in Langtons House, Alresford, Hampshire.  I can't find much about this house, or why my uncle was born somewhere like this in 1942.  Did it act as temporary housing or a hospital?  My family were mostly living in Stockbridge, Hampshire at this point after moving out of Southampton when they were bombed out.

Any information on this house would be wonderful!

Thanks!
Liz

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Langton(s) House, Alresford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 14:43 BST (UK) »
Langton House, Alresford was the home of Lord & Lady Upton. In 1940, for instance, Captain John Everard Upton, royal artillery was kiilled, the announcement was in the Times. At the time, Sir Everard Upton was dead, but his wife Lady Upton was alive.

By 1946, Lt Colonel Sir William and Lady Makins had to moved Langton House, phone number Alresford 169.

Looks like Lord & Lady Upton purchased it in 1938, from  a house sale notice in The Times.

Tom

Offline LizK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 July 10 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your background info, Tom.  I've just found out from my Uncle who has been digging too, that the house was taken over by Hampshire county Council as a maternity home in 1942, hence the reason he would have been born in such a large house!  ;D

Thanks!

Offline billdoe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 August 10 17:08 BST (UK) »
My wife was born at langton house in 1943 her mother was evacuated from Portsmouth

Offline Birket

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 June 22 19:03 BST (UK) »
Langtons House was a maternity hospital during the war.  I have been told that the previous owners suffered a family tragedy.  The current owner has looked after and added to the house with good taste, but it is not open to the public.