Author Topic: Holyhead Burnal/Burnall/Burnel/Burnell  (Read 27182 times)

Offline Blodynbach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holyhead Burnal/Burnall/Burnel/Burnell
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Amlodhi & Draigcoch.......I was brought up believing there were 2 'strains' of Burnell's in Holyhead. Not necessarily an Irish one & a Welsh one though.
However, I was told that we weren't related to Maritime Guy, but were related to the auctioneer. I will probably be seeing him (auctioneer) over the week end so I hope to get some names from him....see if there's a connection.
I hope to contact the ex-teacher too, who we are related to apparently.

Watch this space .....as they say  ;D

Offline Amlodhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 22:58 BST (UK) »
Just twigged who you are, Draigcoch!  Heavens - I'm slow sometimes!

OK - I've found the Irish Burnell family (and spelt this way) - they lived in Harp Street for the 1851 census so you were perfectly right.  The whole family is recorded as being born in Ireland.  They are John (66, stonecutter), wife Mary (48), Elizabeth (20), William (19, a stonecutter), Caroline (15), Samuel (13) and John (11).  Given that John was born in Ireland and was only 11, they could not have arrived in Holyhead before 1841.   They did not appear on the 1861 or 1871 censuses, so they probably moved on - no further appearance from them. 

Oddly, I had not seen the entry for them before.  But that, I believe, now closes the issue of the Irish Burnells, and we go back to wondering where Jonathan Snr came from.

Welsh Burnells in 1851 are recorded living in Hibernia Row (William Burnell b1825, Jonathan Jnr's older brother, & family) and Upper Mountain Row (Jonathan Burnall Jnr & family). 

There are no other Burnells of any spelling in Holyhead in 1851.

Interestingly, the 1841 to 1871 censuses all record Jonathan Snr as being born in Holyhead (the 1841 one says "born in county" which is good enough!).

So - thoughts, please?
Cheers
Amlodhi

Offline Blodynbach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 September 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hello again all interested parties  :)

I agree, and think there was/is now only one 'strain' of Burnell's in the area. Originating from Jonathon(1801). Although didn't Maritime Museum man say he wasn't related to the Auctioneers? I didn't get a chance to speak to him over the week end, but I'm sure I will do soon.
I'm writing to the ex teacher his week, so I hope to have some info from him by next week.
I'm going to the Archives office in Llangefni, in a couple of weeks so if if either of you have anything I could look up for you, let me know.

Happy hunting  ;D

Offline Amlodhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 September 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
Glad you agree, Blodynbach.  Although it's not impossible that Jonathan's roots may hold a few surprises when we find them.
In the meantime, as you are going to Llangefni, and if you have time, could you have a look at the Holyhead parish registers between 1795 and 1801 to try to find Jonathan and also Abigail (oft spelt Abigal) - she is about 3 years older than Jonathan.  The surname was always seems to be spelt Burnall.  I'm not sure if Draigcoch already checked these out, but possibly worth a second attempt.
Looking forward to hearing what your teacher may reveal.
Have a good week all.

Offline Draigcoch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 September 10 10:01 BST (UK) »
Anything you can find on Janes 1st and 2nd husband would be a breakthrough, birth marriage death, I have spoken to Maritime guy a couple of years ago and he sent me his tree, which is not a direct connection to ours. I will have to dig it out and let you know.
Surrey:Adams Crockford Samuel Twine Parsons Atkin Westbrook
Somerset/Cardiff: Ellard Brooks
Anglesey: Williams Jones Pritchard Burnell
Liverpool/Scotland: McEwan Stobbo

Offline Amlodhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 September 10 16:03 BST (UK) »
Yea - another mystery!  I've searched high and low for details of Jane's first husband's death and her second marriage, but nothing.   However, I've only looked in the Holyhead area for traces - is it possible he died and she re-married away from Holyhead or Anglesey?

Offline Blodynbach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 September 10 17:46 BST (UK) »
Shame her first husband's name was Jones really. As you know there are one or two about! The info I previously sent to re. Thomas' family was wrong I'm afraid. Went back a fair few years before I realised it couldn't be.
However, I was in Maeshyfryd on Saturday, and I think I might have a lead. Have done some searching, and I might have found the family- again.  I'm going to the archives next week, and will hopefully have some results after my visit.

Jane's 2nd husband could have been from Caernarfon.

Will let you know my findings :)

Offline Amlodhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 September 10 20:00 BST (UK) »
Yup - the traditional naming convention in North Wales is a nightmare.
My ggrandfather married Jane Evans from Cerrigydrudion.  Jane's mother's maiden name was Jones.  His son, my grandfather, was also born in Cerrifydrudion - he married Anne Evans from Llangwm (just 2 miles down the road from Cerrifydrudion).  Her mother's maiden name was Jones!  It makes you wonder ......!
Whatever, we'll be grateful for anything you can turn up while you're in Llangefni.

Offline Draigcoch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
When you say Thomas' info is wrong can you elaborate more, also regarding Maeshyfryd, or are you waiting for more records Blodyn
Surrey:Adams Crockford Samuel Twine Parsons Atkin Westbrook
Somerset/Cardiff: Ellard Brooks
Anglesey: Williams Jones Pritchard Burnell
Liverpool/Scotland: McEwan Stobbo