Author Topic: Census Look Up Please JANE HAMILTON in Nova Scotia  (Read 6517 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census Look Up Please JANE HAMILTON in Nova Scotia
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 July 10 02:50 BST (UK) »
Two of her children Joseph & Laura were married in Boston Mass. ( also death for Frederick & Matilda Rebecca ) & don't see them in N.S, in 1891 either, josey, so perhaps they have moved south? Will wait for confirmation on the whereabouts....( not to mention correct family :)

There is another 1860 marriage entry which shows the parents of William Cox as
Richard Cox & Rebecca Denny so Micheal was his brother... ;D

Yes just now found John j. Montague J., Mary M. & Matilda
Boston city, Suffolk, Massachusetts  1900 census
Head-of-household  Jane Cox
Immigration Year: 1882
Enumeration District: 1457
Sheet # and Letter: 11B
Household ID: 224
Occupations etc. are shown on image
Says father born Ireland!!  (hmmm, but mother born Scotland...)

Robert Francis died in 1870...from image.. birth circa 1892 Ireland
Census info not always reliable, but perhaps because Creedon is predominantly Irish...should we also be looking at William? He seems to be having children in the 1860s, and can't see him on 1881 for approx. age... sigh... need older census with some nationality, but they only have heads of household....!
~~~~~~~~~
Ahhh, see marriage of William in 1860 as well, so he's probably a brother or cousin to Jane...!!!
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 July 10 08:25 BST (UK) »
Beginning to get a bit complicated...yes, we do need confirmation as

Great finding that Jane went to the USA in 1882. I don't have access to US censuses [apart from the 1881 on familysearch]. Might her death certificate name her parents? Have you found her on any US censues after her immigration?

So IF that Robert Hamilton IS Jane's father - am I right that she had brothers William who married Margaret MacDonald & Thomas Francis? As you say - if we can find their parents...

Do you know if Jane was a witness to any of her siblings marriages? Thomas Francis Hamilton son of Robert and Alice married Catherine Keltie in 1886 in Halifax. Jane of course was in the US by then.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 July 10 17:10 BST (UK) »
Well, it won't be the first time someone only gave a nee surname and we went down the wrong path...  ;D If this is the right family, a search further into the Parish records would be in order...Odd that there are several transcriptions of the Hamilton/Cox wedding, and only his parents are listed one one that I found...But Wm 's doesn't have any parents either which is why I wondered where he fit in...Sometimes parents don't approve, or mixed religions can cause a rift, but she was of age and kept faith as R.C. Am hoping there's more on the Parish files than what is on the family search labs site...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 July 10 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi J.J.,
You have found so much information and I am so appreciative. I am still trying to sift all through it. I am curious to know if 1851, 1861 and/or 1871 census records for Nova Scotia have information on Robert Hamilton (b. 1809 Ireland) and wife Alice b. 1807 Ireland). They appear to have immigrated before 1836 as that is when Alexander G. was born.
I am still questioning the Jane Cox (nee Hamilton) who died August 2, 1922 in North Sydney. From what I have been able to see is that she immigrated to Massachusetts about 1882 with several of her children.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 July 10 19:16 BST (UK) »
Punch, the Jane Cox who died 2 Aug 1922 was the widow of Michael Cox who is possibly William Cox's brother. Her parents were Lawrence Kehoe & Caroline Brewer & she married as Jane Kehoe although she was a widow. So she had already been discounted as 'your' Jane as there was not a Hamilton in sight  :(

The information on the earlier Nova Scotia censuses is fairly sparse, so as J.J. says the answers may lie in the parish records. Most of those that survive are on film at NSARM - I don't know how they can be accessed from the UK.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 July 10 20:04 BST (UK) »
please note that we only think this may be the correct family...actual parents may have died before marriage...so all must be checked out ...search parish records for clues and more info

1861 - same as given earlier....one is repeated  Not sure if actual image might show how many, or ages, gender in household?
familysearch

Robert Hamilton Age: 63 b. 1808 Ireland
Married / Irish/Catholic
Census Place: 01, Sydney Mines b, Cape Breton 205, Nova Scotia
Page 3   Line 12    Household 10   Family 10
Film Number: 2229155
Library and Archives Canada Film Number: C-10567
Digital Folder 4396282    Image 00488
Collection: Canada Census, 1871

Alice Hamilton Age: 65  Birth 1806 Ireland  Line13
Robert A Hamilton b. 1837 N.S.    line 14
Mary A Hamilton Age 32 b. 1839 N.S.  Line 15
Charles C Hamilton Age: 23 Birth 1848 N.S.   Line16
Thomas F Hamilton Age21 b.1850 Nova Scotia  Line 17

Alex G Hamilton Age: 36 Birth 1835 N S
Married  Irish Catholic
01, Sydney Mines b, Cape Breton 205, Nova Scotia
Page 107  Line  2
House 353  Family 369  Film Number: 2229155
Library and Archives Canada Film Number: C-10567
Digital Folder Number: 4396282  Image 00540
Collection: Canada Census, 1871

1871 Sydney - Hamilton Families

The accent mix makes for great page here: http://www.sydneymines.ca/slang.html

sample:  "....deres allegations been made and I wants ta know who dee alligator is!!"   ;D  J.J.

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 July 10 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Again J.J. & Josey,
I love the sample of the accent mix. I will have to take a trip to the site. Does the 1871 Canada census have an image to show wife's name or others in the household? Also is there a listing for William Cox b. abt. 1835 in the 1871 census records? I am so grateful for all your help.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 July 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
I am adding the other family members on that same reply on other page... ;D

actually, I will post him here, with page information, then post the url to the rest to save me sifting out  the information, and will also add url to the other reply
William Cox  Age: 36  Birth 1835 NS
Married  Irish Catholic
Census Place 01, Sydney Mines b, Cape Breton 205, Nova Scotia
Page 114  Line 6   House # 377  Family #393
Canada Census, 1871

1871 Cape Breton Cox family
Make sure that page # household # match

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 July 10 01:54 BST (UK) »
I would like to go back to the first post by Punch. You requested information about Jane Hamilton born about 1842 in Sydney NS. You are looking for her parents names but you obviously have other information about her. What is the information that you have so that what has been found can be verified. It is important to note that Sydney, Sydney Mines and North Sydney are all separate towns in Cape Breton and finding information about Hamilton's in one town  may not have anything to do with Hamilton's in other towns. These towns were based on coal mining and many of the families also moved on to other coal mining towns such as Stellarton in Pictou County and Springhill in Cumberland County. The best place to look for information on Jane Hamilton will be church records if they survived. If you can narrow down her religion, you may be able to find church records for her. Instead of relying on what has been posted, please give us more of the information that you already have on her.