Author Topic: where,s my mehetabel  (Read 4548 times)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: where,s my mehetabel
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 July 10 08:49 BST (UK) »
thanks  Hackstaple  have got that info there,s quite a lot of went,s from the ardleigh area so far have,nt sorted out who,s related to whom , the biggest prob is finding any record of this mehetabel murrill
yours trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 July 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
I think this is the same woman. The normal spelling is Mehitabel although Ancestry is loaded with the spelling Mehitable. The spelling you have here is very unusual.

Murrill - from personal experience - is more often misspelt than spelt correctly. I find my ancestors as Murril, Murrell, Murrel, Murrils, Nurrill and so on.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 July 10 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Hack

I thought T mo already had Mehetabel in 1841 married to Thomas Went and with their child (original post) Do you think she has been recorded twice?

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 July 10 12:41 BST (UK) »
A lot of men around called Thomas Went. I find a christening for one on 17/9/1761 - father John Went, mother Ann Sowgate at Ardleigh.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 July 10 14:50 BST (UK) »
hi hackstaple
yes thomas seems to have been a popular name around the area either that or they could,nt think for themselves what to call there offsprings, again have found the record you,ve posted , i have tried most of the different variations of mets name but had,nt thought of nurrill even used matilda instead of mehet i,ve never come across a conundrum like it if you think of the name overall and say it ,given that back then they would probably used an essex accent i can,t see how she could disappear off the planet like this .
that 1841 census for william went -mary went  &mehetabel went isn,t mine were looking for murrill as a surname .
If you look at that census above that will and his tribe is my thomas & met &above them is a john went aged40 &maria aged 20 now as they are all living close i wonder if they are all the same family as my folks on both sides didnt move far from there family roots we,ve never been very adventurous !!!! the main person in all this is
                                 MEHETABEL MURRILL  where does she come from ????????????   trevor

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 July 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
All of the people I have investigated with the Murrill name came from either the area of Beccles in Suffolk or from London where they are only found after about 1789 - all printers or cabinet makers.

It was rare for anybody in those days for people outside London or Birmingham or Liverpool to marry anyone who was not from a close village - exceptions being soldiers and sailors. Your Murrill then was probably from the same area as her husband. However the Colchester are did have a sea trade but your Mr Went looks as though he stayed in one place and never went.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 July 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
Always the punner !!
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 July 10 16:55 BST (UK) »
hi hack
if she,s from london i hope it,s from a family of cabinet makers as it seems on both sides of my old dad,s family either the building trade or timber has been the main trades including my dad my brother &yours truly for our sins and a love of chippying as a hobby as you say went was not very appropriate a name , perhaps they could,nt afford a bike!!     trevor  ;D