Author Topic: Samuel [Josiah] Cornish1861 Census Dorset  (Read 1079 times)

Offline duniger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Samuel [Josiah] Cornish1861 Census Dorset
« on: Thursday 31 March 05 14:06 BST (UK) »
Looking for a Samuel [may have second forename of Josiah, in other censuses Josiah is the main name and Samuel the second one] CORNISH.  He was born in June 1857,at Bridport, Dorset, so would be 4 in the census.

His father died before the census, and I do not know his mothers forname [still awaiting certificate]. She may also have remarried.

Thank you

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel [Josiah] Cornish1861 Census Dorset
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 March 05 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Duniger,

Welcome to RootsChat.  Hope you enjoy it as much as we do  :)

Apologies if you know it already, but if you are searching in Dorset then you need to know this site:

The Dorset Online Parish Clerks (OPC): http://www.dorset-opc.com

It has a HUGE database and a good search engine.
For more details, there is a description of the site here on RootsChat at Dorset OPC

I enterd "cornish samuel" in the search engine with "Find ALL words" and got 41 entries,
including this one:

Parish of Bridport  1861 CENSUS RG9/1367/F111  District 5
Enumerator, George Ward

East Street .....

Julia CORNISH, Head, Widow, 34, Twine Spinner, Abbotsbury
John CORNISH, Son, Un, 14, Flax Comber, Bridport
Robert CORNISH, Son, Un, 6, Bridport
Samuel CORNISH Son, Un, 4, Bridport

Look familiar ??

Regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline duniger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 March 05 16:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks a bunch Berlin-Bob, both for the welcome, the 1861 census information you sent and the web addresses. I have already E-mailed the OPC for Bridport.

The census stuff you sent me looks hopeful, I live in hope that when I get the birth certificate it shows that Josiah was the father and Julia was  his wife.

Its the first time I have entered a forum such as this, and the speed of your response has astounded me, I did not expect to know the wifes name before I got the certificate.

Thanks again

Duniger

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 March 05 17:11 BST (UK) »
Beginner's Luck, maybe !!

I just look in now and then, and as now, you just happen to post when I am on !

Hope the rest of your searching goes so well, but be prepared: if you read a cross-section of topics here, you'll know that it isn't always so.

But it's a lovely start, isn't it !!

Good luck,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline gillrh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have just found your message, two years after it's original posting!!

I am descended from Samuel Cornish and Hannah Cox.  Their son Robert born 1800)  was Josiah's  (born 1825 ) father.

Let me know if you want  more information,

best wishes,

Gill
Ammann, Cornish, Dixon, Gamble, Payne, Hedley

Offline duniger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gill

Thank you for contacting me, I had forgotton about it, you must have spent a good while looking to find that message.

I did this work for my son in Law, Mark Cornish.  I have passed all that I learned on to him, but my memory tallies with that which you mention in your message to me.

I have spoken to Mark and he would be pleased to correspond with someone about your common ancestry. and to this end I am appending his e-mail address to this message.

I hope that you both may learn something from each other, and thank you again for contacting me.

lmcornish[at]btinternet.com        Replace [at] with @ [where l is for Lesley ]

regards
Trevor