Author Topic: William Skinner BICE cornwall  (Read 5094 times)

Offline indeed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Skinner BICE cornwall
« on: Thursday 15 July 10 01:29 BST (UK) »
Good morning
Am trying to trace details of William Skinner Bice who married Honor Sandoe, plus William's father who married Honor Skinner.  The latter being buried in Gwennap.
Any details would be appreciated. :)

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Skinner BICE cornwall
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 July 10 04:32 BST (UK) »
Do you have this??

1851 H0107/1906  folio263 page 6 St Blazey Cornwall reg district St Austell

Fore Street

John Bice age 37 copper miner Berkstone devon
Sally wife age 34 St Austell Cornwall
Wm Henry son age 13 Miner Cornwall
John son age 4 St Blazey
Mary dau age 4 months St Blazey
Eliza Hill house servant
//
William Brice age 60 Proprieter of Silver Lead mine Gwinnup
Honour wife age 61 Beferin?? Devon
James son age 26 Copper Miner St Austell
Charles son age 24 Copper Miner St Blazey
Elizth Roberts sister in law pauper age 73 widow born Tavistock Devon

1841 H0107/146/6 folio 83 page 9 St Blazey Cornwall

St Blazey Village

Wm Bice age 50 born in county Miner Copper
Honor age 50 not born in county
Samuel age 15 not born in county miner copper 1841 census ages are put up or down
James age 15 born in county miner copper
Charles age 14 born in county copper miner
Henry age 10 born in county
Sally Bice age 20 born in county
John Bice age 25 not born in county
Henry Bice age 3 born in county
Elizth Bice age 9 months born in county

1861 RG9/1546 Folio 110 page 9 St Blazey Cornwall

William Bice age 70 copper miner Gwennap Cornwall
Honor wife age 71  Beer Ferris? Devon

William Bice married Honor Sandoe 26th November 1812 Stoke Dameral Devon

William S Bice  born 1790 died 1866 dec quarter  St Austell Cornwall age 76  5c  73

Honor Bice died mar quarter 1865 St Austell  5c  92

Regards Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 July 10 06:13 BST (UK) »
William Skinner BICE was baptised at Gwennap 10 Oct 1790, son of William & Philippa BICE, who were still having children there in 1806.

http://gwennap-opc.com/baptisms_1790.htm

William BICE married Philippa SKINNER, 26 Jan 1788, Kenwyn, Cornwall - from Pilotsearch

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 July 10 06:23 BST (UK) »
Gwennap burials have a Philippa BICE burial 11 Sep 1812, which could be William Skinner BICE's mother, William's wife.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline indeed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 July 10 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much.  Can't believe I had a typo - it had been a long and difficult day yesterday.

I have William Skinner Bice (Sept. 1789 - 23.12.1865) married Honor Sandoe (1791 - 20.1.1865)

I have also a William Bice  who died at Gwennap and an Honor Skinner who died on 1.7.1766 also at Gwennap and am wondering whether they could in fact be William Skinner Bice's parents.

Would love to go back further .  I believe William and Honor had 12 children.  I am descended from one of their children Samuel Sandoe who came to Australia in 1864.

Offline indeed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 July 10 12:07 BST (UK) »
Have you any idea where I can go from here?

William Bice ( - 25.1.1766, Gwennap) married 26.1.1788 Kenwyn, Cornwall Philippa Skinner (  - 11.9.1812 Gwennap)

It would be so satisfying to go back another couple of generations and to be able to find out information about them, just great.

Thank you again eyesee and down-under. :D

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 August 12 02:44 BST (UK) »
Just digging this up to say hello. ;)

If you're still getting notices of replies ...

My grx2 grandfather and that Samuel who was 15 in 1841 and went to Australia - Samuel Sandoe Bice - were once business partners.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=021-cn_2&cid=1-7-1-3-5-2#1-7-1-3-5-2
 CN/1997  1859
Draft licence for 21 years to work minerals.
Thos. Tristram Spry Carlyon of Tregrehan, esq., to Francis Hoare Hill
of Finsbury, Mddx., and Sam. Sandoe Bice of St. Blazey, mine agent.
Menagwins and Tregorrick.

I have no idea whether anything actually came of that. Francis is nowhere to be found in 1861 (his family is in Plymouth, and I actually wonder whether he was in Australia, since he seems to have been connected also with a copper-trading family in Wales with history in Australia), and shortly before the 1871 census he went bankrupt in London, as a share dealer. ;)

I would imagine that Samuel's son who became Sir John George Bice in Australia was my gr-grfather's childhood friend, as they are from the same place in Cornwall and were almost the same age. My gr-grfather spent a few years in NSW around 1891 (having travelled originally to Victoria), and then returned to England, and I've never known whether the Bices' earlier emigration there might have been connected to his decision to go there somehow.

Meanwhile, how is it that you have William Bice's exact birthdate and place of birth in 1766 but you seem to be looking for his parents' names? (Edit - I think there's a typo in your information: it is meant to be his death date and place, so it isn't 1766 as he married in 1788.)

There were multiple Bice baptisms in Gwennap 1753-1771, children of Hercules and Jane. They included Williams baptised in 1761 and 1762.

A couple named William and Philippa Skinner had children baptised in Gwennap in 1772 and 1776. I wonder whether they would be worth investigating.

Unfortunately, there may not be conclusive answers, without parents' names on marriage records to connect them with births of the bride and groom.

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/

If you're looking in!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?