Author Topic: Questions re surname Goosney  (Read 16987 times)

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Questions re surname Goosney
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 April 11 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

Yes, that is my fear with the Gosneys and the Channel Islands.  That 1851 connection seems like the earliest one.  Now, perhaps there was an ongoing connection between the Gosneys and the Channel Islands that extended to before 1851.  After all, how did a 12 year old end up in the Channel Islands without his parents?  Orphaned?  Maternal link?  Apprenticed?  Or maybe the rest of the family had all departed for Newfoundland and hence weren't in the 1851 census. Tough to figure out really.  What I really need is a census from 1800 or 1810, but I don't think one exists.  Still, the Gosney/Goosney link seems somewhat unlikely, so either the Goosneys weren't CI, or the name wasn't originally Gosney.

Gasnier was my next guess, but a little research in that direction didn't turn up anything either. 

I've always guessed the family was from Jersey, since more Jerseymen settled in Newfoundland.  Recently I've been in contact with a distant relative who says the tradition in her branch is that the family was from Guernsey.  I'm almost wondering if the original settlers in Newfoundland just told people they were from Guernsey and it got corrupted to Goosney.  I think the English government started cracking down on smugglers in the early 19th century, so maybe they were on the run and didn't want anyone to know their real surname.  If this is what happened, the original surname could have been anything at all and I guess I'll never find out.

One of my concerns though is that the names James and Isaac are very common in the Goosney family, right from the first generation, but they don't seem to be French names, which is what one would expect.  That points to more of an English origin.

Deep sigh.  I'm stumped, and I'm starting to think I'll have to live with the mystery.

Jennifer. 

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 April 11 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

I know I've looked for you before and I always keep an eye open for the name. Have you seen there is a Gooseney mentioned on http://tonylesauteur.com/arbre11.htm It doesn't tell you a lot but I suppose it all helps.

Also there are 3 books about people who left the CI to go to Newfoundland called The Quiet Adventurers in Canada' by Marion Turk. You can search this on Googlebooks but I can't see anything following a quick search.

Sorry if I've mentioned this before.

Stewart

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 April 11 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Thanks for the link - I think I have seen it before but forgot to bookmark it.  I've got it now - very useful.  There are a small number of Goosneys on the Quebec Lower North Shore, and S. Gooseney married to P. Blampied was one of them.  The first Goosneys in Newfoundland were James and John, who were likely brothers, and Susan is I think probably John's daughter - his first wife was Susannah Jones, and although I don't have birth record for Susan, it would make sense that she would be named after her mother.

I have read The Quiet Adventurers, very useful book, I keep meaning to buy my own copy.  One thing that is evident from it is how much the CI names were corrupted in Newfoundland.  For example, Poingdestre became Puddester. 

Thanks again for the input.

Jennifer.

Offline pamhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 April 11 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer,
I should have mentioned I had checked both Marion Turk's books as mentioned by Stewart.  There are no GOOSNEYS, GOSNEYs.... lots of GOSSELINS.... I wonder?
Sorry cannot be much more help.
Good luck...

Filleul/Le Brun/Ahier/Touzel/Falle/Le Moignan - Jersey, Channel Islands
Hepburn - Greenock, Scotland
Lyle - Greenock, Scotland; London England