Author Topic: Mellifont of Cork  (Read 8473 times)

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Mellifont of Cork
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 22:18 BST (UK) »
Found a few Mellifont/Mellefont births at St. Mary & St. Annes which is not near Evergreen Street
but some of the names might mean something to you.

name       date                  parents
Ellen       9.1.1833              Michael  Mellefont & Elizabeth Connell

Patrick    19.9.1825            Robert    "             &  Catherine Browne

William   22.6.1831        Robert Mellifont  & Margaret Flanagan
Michael   26.2.1837         Robert   "          &  Margaret   ""
George    19.8.1842        Robert    "          &  Margaret

Elizabeth  14.10.1832     Robert      "    &    Margaret   Hannagan (this may have been Flanagan)   
Catherine  5.11.1834       Robert    "     &    Margaret     """

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline Phil.Mellifont

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,
Sorry for the delay.. we travelled away for a wedding and a business trip.   Thanks for this info.   There seems to have been some Mellifonts at Ballea… I wonder if my Cork Ancestors came to Cork from farms near there as part of the migration away from agriculture in the Industrial revolution..

One day I'll figure out some way and do some research to test the theory..  Countryside Mellifonts as witnesses in Cork Baptism records or some such..

I hope you're well.. everything good here..
regards
Phil

Offline ftcorkmdb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 20:18 GMT (UK) »
My grgrgrgrandfather's brother, Daniel Madden, married Mary Mellefont of Ballea (Douglas-Ballygarvan R.C. parish) in 1818.  Mary was probably the sister of Michael Mellefont, of Ballea, who married Mary Dinneen.  Most of the Maddens, and some of the Mellefonts, emigrated to Boston, Massachusetts.  The Maddens and Mellefonts had also been tenants at Coolmore, Carrigaline, with the same landlords as at Ballea.  There was clearly a sprinkling of Catholic Mellefonts, tenant farmers, in the area just to the south of Cork City, very likely descendants of the Mellefonts of Kinsale and Mellifontstown.  A (Protestant) Mellefont is buried in Tracton churchyard, but I could not find other Mellefont graves in the area.  So many inscriptions are illegible, however, that that does not mean they are not there.  You can send me a 'Personal Message', but it is very complicated, and I cannot tell you how to do it.