Author Topic: WRNS Service number  (Read 9672 times)

Offline remlapm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WRNS Service number
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 November 11 00:08 GMT (UK) »
OK Its finally arrived. I will scan the pages we have, such as they are, and post them in the next couple of days. Basically it breaks down as follows

From P&V Ledgers

Margery Ellaine Palmer Ne Foster, Service number WRNS51771

Enrolled 10th Feb 1943

HMS Pembroke III (Mill Hill) 10 Feb 1943 - 24 Feb 1943 - Wren

HMS Westcliffe 25 Feb 1943 - Date not recorded - Wren

HMS Pembroke III (Stanmore) Date not recorded - 11 Oct 1944 - Wren

HMS Pembroke III (Stanmore) 12 Oct 1944 - 26 Oct 1945 - Leading Wren

Mrs Margery Ellaine Palmer released to shore in class A on 26 October 1045 (Dad says she applied to leave the service on their marriage)

There is a section on the service record that seems to cover her rank. She starts as a Wren (G), then Wren (S), Wren (H S R), and finally Ldg Wren (S). Can anyone help interpret this for me.

The record is stamped that a war gratuity was paid by HMS Pembroke III 840

Hope someone can help to work out what she was possibly doing based on this information. I will post scanned images as soon as I have them available

Many thanks in advance

Mike

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My mum and dad circa 1946
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 November 11 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike
I hope these sites will answer some of your questions regarding your mums time in the Wrens

These  sites are  where ex wrens talk about where they were and what they did........................
http://home.cablerocket.com/~jplord/WRENS.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/50/a7980050.shtml
Here is an interesting story about ,HMS Pembroke III (Millhill)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/britainatwar/britainatwarreadersmemories/5125233/Britain-at-War-Life-in-the-Womens-Royal-Naval-Service.html

Here is an interesting story about HMS Westcliffe
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/1719571.0/?act=login

this chap explains ranks in the Wrens .
http://www.godfreydykes.info/THE_WRNS_AND_OTHER_NAVAL_WOMENS_SERVICES.htm
regards
Elinga
Everyday is a school day !!!!

McCrory/McCrorie Orr and McCafferty , Northern Ireland
Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline remlapm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 November 11 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Ok here are scanned copies of the paperwork we have received. if anyone can shed more light on this I would be grateful as I feel we are no closer to understanding what mum did during the war.

Many thanks

Mike

Offline remlapm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 November 11 14:11 GMT (UK) »
and the other one

Offline remlapm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Further to our investigations regarding my mothers service, my niece has been doing some research and has come up with the following information.

"HMS Westclliffe was the training centre for WRNS. WRNS personnel who served at HMS Pembroke III were involved in Signals Intelligence work. Stanmore was one of the largest outstations that housed the Bombe machines used for breaking the Enigma code, WRNS personnel would have operated these machines on a 24hr basis and it is likely that Margery was employed in this work. All Bombe operators working at Stanmore have the same path of service as her ie Mill Hill – Westcliff – Pembroke III or V."

She also uncovered the following interesting info about the Stanmore outstation

Stanmore
Cannons Corner, Stanmore, Middlesex and often simply referred to as "Cannons Corner". Selected in July 1942 as a Bombe outstation. That month two new buildings were under construction at Stanmore for WRNS accommodation, one to be completed by 31 July, the other by Oct 1942. In Jan1943 there were 22 Bombes in Block B at Stanmore with a potential for accommodating another 42, making it by far the largest Bombe outstation at the time. By July 1943 there were 45 Bombes at Stanmore together with some 440 Wrens both accommodated and working at Stanmore. A new Block, Block C, was then constructed in the NE corner of the fenced in site at Stanmore. This was to accommodate 750 Wrens. Hutted accommodation for some 90-100 RAF Bombe service technicians was to be built outside the Stanmore fencing on the London Road. This would be conveniently suited for the Bombes in Block B. In Oct 1943 Stanmore was stated to be using 29,660 sq ft of net floor space for its Bombes, (compared with 1,500 sq ft at Adstock, 6,800 at BP and 33,120 sq ft at Eastcote). The station ended up with some 50 Bombes, making it second in size only to Eastcote. Nicknames for Stanmore Bombes were selected from the names of British and Commonwealth towns, cities and islands. Abbreviated to just "S" or "OSS", (Outstation Stanmore) in BP Bombe status reports. In Jan 1944 US Bombe operating personnel were being trained at Stanmore. Stanmore was also the location of the Polish Radio Centre and Sigint unit which maintained comms links to Bertrand's Sigint station at PC Cadix in Vichy France where Poles were also employed in Sigint work. In Nov 1940 Stanmore was to be established as a Polish intercept site for Russian tasks and this task continued during 1941. Poles at Stanmore were employed on German Police tasks in 1943/44 but produced little of value for BP. There was also evidence of an SOE association with the Poles at Stanmore. HQ RAF Fighter Command was also located at Stanmore, (at Bentley Priory).The AEAF HQ, (later AEAF Rear) was established at Stanmore in early 1944 in preparation for "Overlord"

Apparently there is a good case for asking for Margery's name to be added to to the Bletchley Park on-line role of honour and my brother is pursuing this.

Mike

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Could she understand any foreign languages?

Or  she may have been on Radar,   which was also very secret.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Ok here are scanned copies of the paperwork we have received. if anyone can shed more light on this I would be grateful as I feel we are no closer to understanding what mum did during the war.

Many thanks

Mike
Have you visited Bletchley Park?  I suggest that you try to have a day out there.    They have "bombe"  machines on display.
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline remlapm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 23:57 GMT (UK) »
I am not aware that she understood foreign languages and am pretty sure she wasn't involved with RADAR.
We have had a visit to Bletchley Park on our wish list for a few years now just never quite made it there. Having found out what we have is making a visit there more likely as it will have a resonance that would have been missing before.

My cousin (my mother's sister's son) said the following in an email

"I can't find it now but before Mother died I'd found on the internet a BBC oral history by a WREN describing her exhausting watchkeeping on the Bombes at Stanmore and resultant poor health. Mother said it sounded just like what Margery went through."

I am now pretty convinced that my mum was a bombe operator at Stanmore for the duration of her service there.

Looking forward to a visit to Bletchley later this year

Mike

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 January 16 05:30 GMT (UK) »
I think it would be hot and noisy in the huts when the bombes were operating.
Avies ~   Norwich