Author Topic: Photo of unknown soldiers  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Larby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ben - age 13 and gorgeous
    • View Profile
Photo of unknown soldiers
« on: Thursday 15 July 10 22:50 BST (UK) »
I'm new to RootsChat and have already put this photo on the "Recognition" board, but now I have found the Armed Forces topics I am posting it again.

I think my grand uncle may be one of the soldiers in this picture.  He was in France with the London Regiment until Jul 1917, when he returned to England for officer training at Oxford.  After being commissioned he returned to France in December 1917 and was killed in action on 2 June 1918.  Can anyone shed any light on the uniforms in the picture or even recognise the building - a long shot, I know.
Boggis in Suffolk, Istead, Downes in Shropshire, Bricknell in Warwickshire, Mason in Little Dunmow Essex, Nuttall in Farnworth Lancs

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of unknown soldiers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 July 10 23:01 BST (UK) »
Door & window style looks more mainlaind Europe than England.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 July 10 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Larby,

Have you got a name and pre-officer servicer number, battalion etc for him?

I notice there is a publishers ID on the bottom left of the postcard. Could you tell us who it is.

A high definition scan of a cap badge would help as well.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Larby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 July 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have his full service records from a visit to the National Archives.  Will sort out the relevant information and post it soon and will also try to get a scan of the cap badge - one seems different from the others so will try to get both.
Boggis in Suffolk, Istead, Downes in Shropshire, Bricknell in Warwickshire, Mason in Little Dunmow Essex, Nuttall in Farnworth Lancs

Offline Larby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 July 10 19:46 BST (UK) »
Information as requested by Phil.

Name : Benjamin Downes

Prior to 1914 served 4 years with 18th Battalion County of London - London Irish Rifles

29 Aug 1914 re-enlisted in 15th County of London
Regimental number 7393 (but had previously been 2610 crossed out in several places and replaced by 7393

Transferred to 3-14th Battalion on 27 Mar 1916 "for the purpose of Imperial Service"

Joined 26 Trg. Reserve. Brigade on 17 Aug 1917 and 6 OCB Oxford on7 September 1917

Commissioned 18th Battalion 17 Dec 1917 Reg.  No. 513346

Killed in action 2 Jun 1918 in Lavieville Sector near Amiens (recorded in War Diaries)

Buried in Montigny-sur-l'Hallue Communal Cemetery (a friend who lives in France is visiting it for me to lay a wooden poppy cross)

On 13 Jan 1920, his mother received £19 0s 0d in respect of his time served in the ranks to be shared by her and his 6 siblings

So, you see, I know all about him except what he looked like!

Am new to scanning, but will try to work out how to send closeup of cap badge and lapel badges.  The Name of the photographic studio looks like Price and the figure 1817 is written beneath the left foot of the chap on the left - this can't be the date so could be a reference number.

Thanks for your interest.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 July 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
This may be too obvious, but all the soldiers appear to be officers.  Close-ups would help in spotting rank and collar badges, too.
A

Offline Larby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 July 10 22:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, they are all wearing Sam Brownes and I too think they are officers, which would place this photo after December 1918 if my relative is in it.

Offline Larby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 July 10 22:53 BST (UK) »
Have played around with the photo, but cannot crack the technology of how to blow up the cap badge to a larger size.  Will seek help on another message board, but not sure if I have the skill!

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 July 10 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Larby,

According to his medal index card, 7393 and 513346 are his 14th London service numbers (pre & post 1917 re-numbering).

The 1817 on the photo is a photographers reference number. Can you see a location or full name for Price? Assuming that Price took the original photo, that will help with the location.

Probably the best place to look for a photo of Benjamin will be the local paper.

To get a decent blow up of the badge, scan the photo at a high definition (600 dpi?) and crop the section you want, so that the file size is within RCs limits.

I found this piece on 6 OTB:

http://archives.balliol.ox.ac.uk/Exhibitions/exhib17WW1album.asp

Phil

Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk