Author Topic: Hannah Armstrong of Cople  (Read 10164 times)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Armstrong of Cople
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 02 September 10 08:04 BST (UK) »
The Armstrongs' arrival in Riseley is still a subject of much concjecture, Richard. Y-DNA shows I share a common ancestor at some point, probably in the 15th to 17th centuries, with two descendants of Sir Thomas Armstrong of Rye House Plot fame. (Sir Thomas was hung,drawn & quartered on the orders of Judge Jefferies, then posthumously pardoned!). Sir Thomas was a friend of Lord Russell, a son of the Earl of Bedford, who was also executed. It may be that my Armstrong ancestor came south from Cumbria with Sir Thomas' entourage. The Rye House Plot was centred on Hoddesdon, Herts. I'm awaiting further DNA evidence which should help narrow down a little more precisely when we interlink.
I have lots of links to Scots-Irish Armstrongs, & know of many who went from the Borders to Ulster, & then headed south to Co Offaly etc. Some then crossed to Bedfordshire.
Another thought was that we arrived in Beds due to the Earl of Bedford. In the 1560s, Elizabeth I sent the Earl to the Borders as a Warden of the Marches. He came into contact with Armstrongs when there. The first Armstrong christened in Beds was in 1586 at Woburn - seat of the now Dukes.
It may also be that an ancestor was a Covenanter prisoner, & worked on the Fens. An  Earl of Bedford was partly responsible for organising/funding Fenland drainage etc.
There are a few other less likely possibilities, but I won't bore you to tears!
Re DNA: As you know, Y-DNA is solely father-to-father, so  ideal for standard same-surname genealogy. mtDNA is mother-to-mother, so a less focused approach involving numerous surnames!
I'm also trying to prove our pre-surname origins. The most likely options are Brythonic Celt, Anglo-Danish or Norman. I've seen documents mentioning Armstrongs working alongside Normans in Cumbria in the 1230s.
Cheers,
Bob
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland

Offline Ness66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 24 October 10 05:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you to all for the information you have published here, I will need to go through it all properly in order to put it with my ancestoral tree I am doing.

I am the decendant of Benjamin Bassett, whom going through this information is Hannah Armstrongs son. Who immigrated to Kyneton, Victoria, Australia in the 1850's and did very well for himself and his LARGE family.  One of the first pioneers and gold miners of the area and very prominent in the Kyneton area during his time.

Again thank you for information.

Vanessa.
Surnames in my family search are:

Rawlings - Aust/UK
Mathieson - Scotland
Sadlier - Aust/UK
Leet - Aust/UK
Bassett - Kyneton Vic/UK
Benson - Aust/UK
Dyer - UK
Brandham - UK
Pieraccini - UK/Italy
Haywood - UK
The rest is all UK, although some immigrated to Australia.
Brown
Lucas
England
Wigin or Wigen
Ross
Crosland / Crossland
Turpin
Dunscombe
Horn
Proctor
Fountain
Martin
Hodgins
Edmunds
Pipkin
Hawkins

See my ancestry tree in ancestry.com under 66ness.

Offline wdurham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 24 October 10 06:34 BST (UK) »
Hello, Vanessa -

Glad it has helped you - it was two of your Antipodean "cousins" (one a descendant of Mary and the other of Benjamin) who contacted me initially through Genes Reunited and set me off on the track of Hannah.  It's been fun, because we didn't even know she existed!

And as always, when the ever-helpful David and JohnP join in, we usually get a result of some kind, even if it's only to decide - as in this case - that a theory can't be absolutely proven, but is probably correct...
Willson & Pell in Faversham, Egerton, Folkestone in Kent
Cornhill in Kent, Devon and Wokingham, Berks
Cadmans & Kings in Isleham, Cambs
Swan, Gregory, Smith & Mingay in the Burrough Green/Westley area of Cambs
Armstrong & Chandler in Bedford
Abbott/Abbit in Witham, Essex
Davies/Davis in Islington & Hackney

Offline Ness66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 24 October 10 07:29 BST (UK) »
Well I am glad that they did contact you and also the wonderful help of David and JohnP.

Up until 6 months ago, I knew nothing of the Bassetts, now I have been able to find so much and a great trip south to Kyneton to see where it all began from Australia with them.

Thank you.
Surnames in my family search are:

Rawlings - Aust/UK
Mathieson - Scotland
Sadlier - Aust/UK
Leet - Aust/UK
Bassett - Kyneton Vic/UK
Benson - Aust/UK
Dyer - UK
Brandham - UK
Pieraccini - UK/Italy
Haywood - UK
The rest is all UK, although some immigrated to Australia.
Brown
Lucas
England
Wigin or Wigen
Ross
Crosland / Crossland
Turpin
Dunscombe
Horn
Proctor
Fountain
Martin
Hodgins
Edmunds
Pipkin
Hawkins

See my ancestry tree in ancestry.com under 66ness.

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 15 February 24 15:20 GMT (UK) »
In the intervening years, Y-DNA shows the Armstrongs of Bedfordshire are part of the Armstrong mainstream descent cluster. The DNA suggests ancient Scottish roots via the Beaker Folk who entered north-east Scotland.
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland