Author Topic: A child disappeared  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A child disappeared
« on: Friday 16 July 10 16:27 BST (UK) »
Would someone please check something for me as I believe I may be losing my marbles!

There is a child named Ellen Wharrad born Redditch in the last qtr of 1888 to Alfred Wharrad and his wife Sarah.  I have checked the records for each quarter from then until the next census and can't find a death.  I've checked the 1891 and 1901 census and she is not there, although their other children are there.  Other than her birth I can find no record of her existence.  There are records of christenings for all the other children but the IGI index just shows her birth.  I suspect she died very young but why can't I see a record of it?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Offline RobPhill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: A child disappeared
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 July 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Would this be the correct child ?:

Ellen Wharrad born December quarter 1888. Registered at Bromsgrove  6c 376

RobPhill

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 July 10 16:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's the only record I can find for her, other than a note on the IGI index.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 July 10 16:49 BST (UK) »

The IGI record is submitted & states parents Arthur Frederick  & Sarah Ann WHARRAD

I wonder though, what the birth cert would say for her parents?

In Search labs:
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#starts is:
is:
Gertrude Ellen WHARRAD chr 21 Dec 1888 St Stephen Redditch
Parents: Walter and Louisa WHARRAD

Can't find a birth for "Gertrude Ellen"  any date, unless I missed it  - see only  the 1888 one for "Ellen"  ???

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline RobPhill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 July 10 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is a marriage of a Gertrude Wharred to William J. Green, registered at Bromsgrove in June 1933, 6c 601
She could have called herself Gertrude, rather than Ellen. You would need the marriage certificate to  prove or disprove this idea.
RobPhill

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 July 10 18:10 BST (UK) »
These Wharrads are a tangle.  T

There were several related families of them having children at similar times and often duplicating names.  For instance Alfred has a daughter Gertrude born in 1885.  I can't see anything else to say that the one born to Walter & Louisa in 1888 was Gertude Ellen rather than just Gertrude but it seems likely especially as there is no other birth for her.  Perhaps a transcription error into the IGI indexes? I suppose the only answer is a copy of the cert!  I AM in contact with one of her nieces in Canada so perhaps I'll ask if she has a copy of the certificate first.

The Gertrude who married William Green is the one born in 1885 (Alfred and Sarah's daughter), not this new one-  I do know the Gertrude who was Walter & Louisa's daughter had children so she lived into adulthood too.

Thanks for that bit of detective work...

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 July 10 18:36 BST (UK) »
Stranger still!  I've now found Gertrude Ellen's christening in December 1888 but her date of birth there is given as 1886, parents Walter & Louisa.  Still no signs of a birth though so I think the whole transcription thing has been messed up.  Hopefully a reply from Canada will solve things...

Offline wharrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 July 10 12:18 BST (UK) »
I need to write back when I have collated some information. My grandfather is Lionel Wharrad born 1911 and I have just started researching the family tree Never done this before so its all a bit of a mystery. I can see they all lived around the redditch area , strange by coincidence I moved there for 2 years from London and was living a couple of miles away from Barnt Green until 2 years ago so I know the area quite well it seems that i went back to my roots without realising!
My aunt has i believe a lot of information on our family history I am going to pick her brains and see what i can find !

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 July 10 12:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I've sent you a message separately.

Jan