Author Topic: Sheringham Maritime & Fishing History  (Read 34030 times)

Offline sunny68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sheringham Maritime & Fishing History
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 13:22 GMT (UK) »
My maternal grandfather's family (Sunman) hail from Sheringham. The earliest I have traced back which confirms connections with Sheringham is the marriage of my great-great-great grandparents who married there in 1819. He was born in nearby Gresham, although she was apparently born in Sheringham in 1799 (I don't have firm evidence of this). The family stayed there for the next 50 years, before moving to Gt. Yarmouth. At one point, my great-grandparents were in Grimsby as my grandfather was born there. The Sunmans finally settled in Hull around 1900 were they remained. Many of the Sunmans were in the fishing industry.

Hi Pentangle,

I am a decendant of Robert Richard Chambers Sunman, who emigrated to Australia around 1841. I have included what i have found on the Sunman family on ancestry.com which goes back to 1695. There are a couple of good little books no longer in print i believe. From memory
 one was called "The divided Village" a history of Sheringham, and another which escapes me.  Unfortunately i no longer have these books in my posession. Let me know if i can help any further.
Thanks also to blue Jacket as i didnt know the name of the boats built by RRC Sunman's father (Robert)

Offline sunny68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
    Thank you for the the very interesting information about the SUNMAN family from Sheringham. While they were in Sheringham the SUNMAN family were innkeepers and boat builders and Robert Sunman jnr built several luggers on Sheringham beach during the early early 1800's.
Robert SUNMAN married Elizabeth CHAMBERLAIN on 15th July 1819 at All Saints Church Upper Sheringham Lower Sheringham did not have a parish church until the beginning of the 20th century.
Elizabeth CHAMBERLAIN was born at Lower Sheringham 15th November 1798 and baptised at All Saints Church Upper Sheringham  23rd December 1798. Fathers name = Richard CHAMBERLAIN. Mothers name = Mary ???.
The following are from the Upper Sheringham Memorial Inscriptions by Walter Rye.
 Elijah Francis SUNMAN died 19th June 1850. aged 37.
George Willian SUNMAN died 29th November  1818.
Thomas Christmans SUNMAN died 14th April 180?. aged 7 years.
Wills Proved in the Consistory Court of Norwich 1819 - 1858.
1855 - SUNMAN, Elijah Frances, innkeeper of Sheringham. Folio #666, Whitty.
These are the fishing luggers I have found that were either built or owned by Robert SUNMAN jnr. Possibly there are more that have not been recorded. All were built on Sheringham Beach.
"ANNA MARY"  = 12 ton, 33ft, 3 masted lugger built at Sheringham 1839 by Robert SUNMAN jnr. Owned by Robert SUNMAN jnr, boat builder.
"CONFIDENCE" = 26 ton, 42ft, 3 masted lugger built at Sheringham 1841 by Robert SUNMAN jnr and owned by Robert SUNMAN jnr.
"NEW HENRY" = 11 ton, 30ft, 3masted lugger built at Sheringham 1839 by Robert SUNMAN jnr.
"REFUGE" = 14 tons, 33ft, 3 masted lugger built at Sheringham 1840 by Robert SUNMAN jnr.
"VICTORY" = 8 tons, 30ft, 3 masted lugger built at Sheringham 1840 by Robert SUNMAN jnr.
Robert SUNMAN must have had quite a large work force to be able to turn boats out as quickly as he did.
I hope this information has been of interest and help to you. If you think I can be any further help please do not hesitate to ask and I will see what I can dredge up from my records & files etc.

Regards. Blue Jacket.
[/   

Offline EXWORTHWADE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 11 February 12 17:34 GMT (UK) »

Hello ,
I am extremely interested in your posting The Sherringham Shannocks.
Firstly i cant read the letter very clearly and just wondered if you have it , can i obtain a copy?
I can make out the surname Bishop and what looks like hilyard street which is where John Robert settles down with Sarah Ann Green(sister of my Gt Grandfather) Like your Sherringham Fisherman , my family moved fm Harwich to grimsby in time to appear on the 1881 census. I dont know when and i dont know why is their a story behind the move , that you could share?
Sarah Annes Father Samuel was a fisherman and his four daus all married fishermen.
Harriet Green married Frederick Lane from Gravesend , Kent in Grimsby 1887
Maria Green married Christopher Sadler from Sherringham in Grimsby as i say i cant see your letter clearly so not sure if he appears on the letter. married 1891.
Eliza married Tom Clarke in Grimsby 1884 (not sure where tom clark/e comes from is he from Sherringham too?

Many thanks if you can help me
Sid, son of a fishmonger , and nephew of a fisherman and a fishmonger...LOL

Here is the list that I have of the "Grimsby Shannocks" - I hope everyone can read it

Offline Michelle Family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 27 February 12 15:50 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather is on the list of Grimsby Shannocks - Robert Bishop who married Mary Ann Cox. Their son William Soames Bishop is my great grandfather. The photo is of William when he was a Skipper on the Deveron.

I have a copy 'The Book of Sheringham'. It has lots of information of fishing families with pictures.

Would anyone know the first name of 'Lotion Tar Bishop'

Michelle from Australia

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
  • "THALIA" YH1066 last Sheringham owned Great Boat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 01 March 12 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
    I apologise for the delay replying to you posting, have had some PC problems etc.
The document you mention was posted by another member of rootschat and as a result, I do not have a copy, unfortunately.
The Shannocks along with fishermen from many other East coast ports moved to Grimsby after it was developed as a fishing port in the latter half of the 1800S, starting around 1851. With the railway fish could be delivered to the big cities and towns in the North and the Midlands within 24 hours of landing. This opened up markets never dreamed of and as the demand for fish increased it out stripped the supply and prices increased. New fishing grounds such as the Silver Pits and Sole Pits were being found and exploited
It must have been like a gold rush and several houses in Sheringham were built on the proceeds.

Before Grimsby was developed the Sheringham fishermen used to range all over the North sea, fishing from Whitby and perhaps even further North right round to the English Channel as the seasons dictated. They may have even gone round the land Westard  Mackerel fishing.

I am afraid I have run on a bit, hope I havn't bored you. If I can be any help with the Shannocks etc please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards.
Blue Jacket.
NURSE & related names from Weybourne & Kelling , North Norfolk and beyond.
Also researching the maritime & fishing history of Sheringham, Norfolk.

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 01 March 12 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michelle.
                  Thank you for your posting about Lotion Tar Bishop. and the interesting photographs
I have searched through all my files, documents and books, but can find no metion of his first name, he is always called Lotion Tar Bishop.  I have made a note and if in the future his first name is found I will post it on rootschat.

Regards.
Blue Jacket.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 01 March 12 17:04 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if he was Load(e)s BISHOP, 1861-1940. :)

He was a Sheringham fisherman and looks about the right age to be the chap in his gansy.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Michelle Family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 02 March 12 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Blue Jacket and Geoff E for providing that information.Apparently in his later years which would have been the 1930's William Bishop would take scientist out so they could do their testing.

My Nana has said that her father William was the youngest Skipper on the East Coast of Sherringham at age 21, this would have been around 1897. He was also skipper for the below ;
Gurth    1913
Cliffon    1909
Peken    1911
Peken    1912
Pearl    1908
Conway    1911

Would anyone know where I could find more information regarding the fishing trips, like what were they fishing for, what size was the catch, how long were they at sea etc.

thank you
Michelle

Offline Blue Jacket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 02 March 12 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michelle.
                 Thank you for your reply. The trawlers you mention were big steam (coal burners) trawlers that used to fish off Iceland and right up in the Arctic Sea North of Norway and sometimes they would even get over to Greenland. The boats could be away from Grimsby for anything up to a month at a time. It was a very hazardous occupation, the crews had to contend with freezing conditions, frost bite, ice, gales, salt water boils (very painful), lack of sleep. In the winter it was dark for weeks on end, it never got daylight. The fish caught were mostly cod, haddock and Halbut etc and some times some very big catches were made and then everyone was happy.

Here are some details for the trawlers you mention.

"GURTH". Official number 118941. Registered Grimsby 1905. Built of steel at Selby 1905. Length 123'.2. Breadth 21'.6. Depth in hold 11'.4.  Net tons 91. Gross tons 226. Horse Power 60. Screw propulsion. Steam.
Owner, United Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby. William Chessman, Tapley House, The Park, Grimsby.

Tha following are in the same format, but I have left
out the text for length, breadth, etc.

"CLIFTON" 123562. Grimsby 1906. Steel. Selby 1906. 126'.2. 22'.0. 11'.4. 125 net. 242 gross.  HP 63. Screw. Steam. Owner, Thomas C Moss, Fish Docks, Grimsby.

"PEKEN". 127823. gRIMSBY 1908. Steel. Selby 1907. 120'.0. 22'.0. 11'.4. 119 net. 228 gross.  HP 66. Screw. Steam. Owner, Henry L Taylor, Fish Dock, Grimsby.

"PEARL". 110920. grimsby 1899. Iron. Beverley 1899. 115'.7. 21'.0. 11'.5. 79 net. 198 gross. HP 60. Screw. Steam. Owner, Thomas C Moss, Fish Dock, Grimsby.

"CONWAY". 118919. Grimsby 1904. Steel. Selby 1904. 119'.3. 21'.5. 11'.5. 105 net. 228 gross. HP 58. Screw. Steam.  Owner, Thomas C Moss, Epping House, Eleanor Street. Grimsby.

Hopefully this has answered some of your questions, but if not please do not hesitate to ask again. I cannot guarantee to come up with the right answer every time, but I will try.

Best Wishes.
Blue Jacket.