Author Topic: I need help to Decipher a Baptism Record Please  (Read 26634 times)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I need help to Decipher a Baptism Record Please
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 31 July 10 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Skoosh, We always assumed they were a Scottish family but not impossible for him to be English I suppose, I hope not as the English records are not nearly as informative as the Scottish ones...... I tried Googling Riddrie but did not find out a great deal...... John had three sons who became excise men, two of his grandsons qualified and became naval surgeons, ....  'Downward' probably meant the bottom end of Riddrie if that makes sense. Thank you for the information, Interesting that there were no Barracks in Glasgow at that time, I think my next step is to find out which regiment General Whiteman/Whileman belonged to...

Many thanks Patricia    ;)
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 31 July 10 10:28 BST (UK) »
'Downward' probably meant the bottom end of Riddrie if that makes sense.

Could be.

Or it could be from Gaelic 'dun' meaning a fort plus English 'ward' meaning an enclosure. Or maybe just plain English, meaning the lower enclosure.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 31 July 10 10:52 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,  no place remotely like Downward here, I think Pat is right. Many of the placenames hereaboots are actually of Welsh origin, (Strathclyde) the Gaelic ones came later.   The Infantry Barracks were constructed on the Gallowgate in 1795.   Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 31 July 10 10:58 BST (UK) »
Welsh 'din' is pretty much the same as Gaelic 'dun', and isn't the name Glasgow itself said to be Gaelic in origin?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 31 July 10 11:03 BST (UK) »
So they say, but could be Welsh again, plenty of Car names here, Caer!    Skoosh.

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: I need help to Decipher a Baptism Record
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 02 July 22 12:59 BST (UK) »
... Then there was a John Warden born 1729 in Barony to a John Warden & Janet Petticrew. … This John was in General Whilemans Regiment, Janet was from Dounward Riddarie…………

I found a map that had Riddrie on it:

https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/sheet/new_pop/178_072

Unfortunately, I couldn't provide you with a zoomed-in portion.   Zoom into the giant word "Glasgow" then pan right and up a bit, look for Hogganfield Loch.  Riddrie is on the Monkland Canal, just down a bit and left of the Loch.  It was in Barony Parish.

Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.