Author Topic: 1861/71 census look up please  (Read 2720 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1861/71 census look up please
« on: Sunday 18 July 10 12:51 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a Jane c1814, and her two sons Thomas c1849 and David Gordon c 1850 in the 1871 census.  The two sons were born in Kirkcudbright and Jane in Kelton

I have them in the 1851 census where their father Thomas who is a Grocer/Spirit Merchant. There are also William, James and Elizabeth in the 1851.  Father died in 1852 and I have found Jane and son Thomas and David in the 1861 but not the others.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Betty

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1861/71 census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 July 10 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty

I love a mystery and so far I'm mystified!  If your family is there in Scotland in 61/71 they might have been hiding from the census taker.  I wonder if you have any knowledge of what became of any of them in later years.  I assume you are a relation of some sort so there must be some sort of trail to your generation.  I should add that there is a public tree out there in Ancestryland that has incorrect info on James Gordon.  They show him married to Mary McMichael in 1873.  If you do a bit of digging it's quite obvious this is not your James but the son of James Gordon the cartwright/joiner and his wife Jane MyClymont/Clement etc.  Since all the IGI info appears to come from submittals I wonder if you've ever requested a copy of the info to see who the submitter was or if there was a source given?  Very good chance they were/are a relation.

Best wishes
Jean

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 July 10 13:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  Much appreciated.

I am helping someone else with their tree so I will pass on your comments.

As far as I know there is no trace of any of the family after 1861.  It could be the females have married.  I think a trip to Scotland's People is needed.

Thanks for your time.

Betty

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 July 10 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean

I have been trying to find the entries you mentioned.

I have found the tree on Ancestry where James, son of Thomas and Jane marry in 1873, then James is born in 1874.  Then I am stuck.

Can you point me in the direction of where you found the McClymont/Clement connection.

Thanks

Betty

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 July 10 20:35 BST (UK) »
The tree shows Thomas Gordon b. 1810 and Jane Maltman b. 1815 as parents of James Gordon b. 23 May 1838 who married Mary McMichael in 1873.  I was simply stating that this James Gordon is not the son of THomas and Jane mn Maltman as the poster would have us believe...he is instead the son of James Gordon occ cartwright/joiner and Jane McClymont/Clement.  Just look at the original MC for the parent details.  James Gordon the cartwright/joiner died in 1855.  His DC on www.scotlandspeople gives a list of his children and their ages which confirms a son named James. 

As for just where the James son of Thomas Gordon and Jane mn Maltman ended up is not clear to me.

Best wishes
Jean

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 13:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jean for your reply.

I need to sort out a few things concerning this family and thank you for your time.

Betty