Author Topic: Book "Without A Shilling" Pocock family history  (Read 5478 times)

Offline mew64

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Book "Without A Shilling" Pocock family history
« on: Sunday 18 July 10 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, does anyone know where I could see or preferably buy a copy of the book "Without A Shilling" please? It concerns the family history of the Pocock family of the Melksham area of Wiltshire. I found many references to it on a website UK Genealogy Archives.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Offline tabitha1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Book "Without A Shilling" Pocock family history
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 November 10 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching the Pocock family for  more than 20 years and continually come across this piece of research which seems to be both accurate and detailed. It seems to have used resources which are not easily available and is very thorough.
I have tried in vain to find out whether this really exists as a published book or whether it is just the title of one person's research i the hands of one lucky owner.
http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk appears to have large extracts from the book in the Pocock branches of the tree.
If you should find out that more than one copy exists, then I would love to know for sure there was maybe a chance of owning a copy. Good luck searching.
(If I should ever find a copy, I would want to leave it in my will to the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre for preservation for future researchers!) 
Pocock - Wiltshire, Berkshire
Smith - Wiltshire, Berkshire, Bristol
Gotobed - Halifax, Canada

Offline Worlock1085

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 23 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask how to find the place you note above http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk that appears to have large extracts from the book in the Pocock branches of the tree. My Pocock family are mentioned within the book. I see lots of abstracts but no-one appears to know where any copies of the book. However I would be interested in seeing the transcripts you mention but when I followed the link I couldn't find it. Please could you tell me what I am doing wrong. I can't see where to search for names.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 March 23 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, does anyone know where I could see or preferably buy a copy of the book "Without A Shilling" please? It concerns the family history of the Pocock family of the Melksham area of Wiltshire. I found many references to it on a website UK Genealogy Archives.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

there's a website devoted to listing secondhand books.  Good luck

https://www.usedbooksearch.co.uk/
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke