Author Topic: Woking Grammar School  (Read 7373 times)

Offline clivetemple

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woking Grammar School
« on: Monday 19 July 10 20:16 BST (UK) »
I've built (still building) a web site dedicated to the old boys (and masters) of Woking County Grammar School who served (or died) in WW2 (only a couple served in WW1 as the school only opened in 1914).

The site is here... http://web.me.com/clivetemple/wokinggrammar/Home.html

If anyone has any info on the boys listed or further names not listed I would be very grateful to hear from you. There's an email link to me on the site.

I also have all the school magazines from 1922-1942 together with quite a few photos of the sports teams so if anyone needs a look up please email me.

Thank, Clive.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Woking Grammar School
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 July 10 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Clive,

I can give you some information on some of the earlier masters from the Teacher's Registration (note that this was optional so not everyone is on it)

"Allcott" was Arnold Allcott, BSc Manchester, Associate of the Institute of Chemistry, held Board of Education Certificate.
 Trained at University of Manchester Training College.
Assistant Master:
Hunter's Bar Council School, Sheffield, 1907-1908
Broomhill Council School, Sheffield, 1908-1909
Science Master:
Chippenham County Secondary School, 1909-1912
Yeovil County Second School, 1912-1914
Military Service, 1914-1919

After his time at Woking he was Senior Master and Science Master at Lord Wandsworth Agricultural College, Long Sutton, Baskingstoke, 1926-1929, and then a Lecturer in Chemistry at Borough Polytechnic (1929-????)

"A.D. Campbell" was Arthur Duncan Campbell, BSc Economics, London, Licentiate of the College of Preceptors
He was Assistant Master, Netherthorpe Grammar School, Staveley, Derby, 1909-1915  (and then at Woking)

"D. A. Darlow" was David John Darlow, BA London (Hons History), Board of Education Certificate, Teacher's Drawing Certificate.
Trained at King's College, University of London.

He was at Chippenham County Secondary School as Assistant Master then Senior Assistant Master, 1907-1915, so must have known Allcott before they worked together in Woking. When he went to SA he continued as a teacher - a lecturer at the Native Training College, Lovedale, Cape Colony (1921-1923) and then Lecturer in charge of the English department at South African Native College, Fort Hare, Alice, C.P., South Africa (1923-????)

(note: he also seems to have written poetry, have a look on Google Books)

"Holgate" was Percy Henry Holgate, BA Manchester (Education Department), Board of Education Certificate.
Assistant Master, Portsmouth Secondary School, 1911-1912
Junior French Master, Harrow County School, 1912-1913
Assistant d'Anglais, Lycee de Leon, 1913-14
(and then details as you have them).

His obituary is here: http://www.fgs.utvinternet.com/FGS_Froggy_obit.html

Thomas Ivor Moore did not have a registration.

"A. H. Jones" was Arthur Henry Jones, who had a long list of attainments:
City and Guilds of London Institute Teacher's Final Certificates in Manual Training: Woodwork & Metal Work
1st Class Honors Certificates: Carpentry & Joinery & Brickwork
2st Class Honors Certificates: Masonry & Principles of Lead Work and House Sanitation
Fellow of the Incorporated British Institute of Certified Carpenters
Board of Education Higher Grade Certificates in Building Construction (Distinction)
Carpenter's Company Certificates in: Carpentry & Joinery (1st class) and Sanitary Building Construction

Assistant Instructor in Manual Training, Hugon Road L.C.C school, London, 1904-1907
Instructor in Manual Training (dates are as on form)
Commercial Road MT Centre, Woking (1907-1916)
Woking County Secondary School (1914-1917)
Guildford Junior Secondary School (1916-1917)
  (military service 1917-1919)
(and then at Woking from 1919 onward)

H.S. Roots doesn't seem to have a registration.
Couldn't find "Sharpe"
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clivetemple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 10 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, only just read it. Much appreciated, I will add to my site.

Thanks,

Clive.

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Clivetemple & Jerose,  I was interested to read about the Teacher Registration and the information contained in your threads.  I don't know if you will be able to help me - it's a long shot, but here goes.  My great uncle, Ralph Percy Whitney, was Headmaster at Wotton School near Dorking from January 1909 until December 1915.  I have copies of the school log from Surrey records office and in it he says he has accepted a post as headmaster at a Grade II School, under the County Promotion Scheme.  I have searched Kelly's Directories for Surrey, Kent and Sussec for 1918, but without success.  I wondered if you may have any suggestions as to how I could trace where he went to from there, or if there are any lists of headmasters which I could refer to.  I seem to have hit a brick wall with it all. 
Best wishes,
Diana
Whitney:South Wales/West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset. 
Feltham: West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset.
Whitney: Surrey, Kent.