Author Topic: Dann Family  (Read 10339 times)

Offline bclampton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dann Family
« on: Monday 19 July 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the family of Alexander Dann who I believe married Mary Mathews in 1814 in Killaloe County, Munster.  He was my 2nd great grandfather.  His son, Alexander, married Jane Bulger after they came over to England.  They were not on the 1841 census so must have come over Ireland between 1841 and 1851.  My grandmother told me he was a strict protestant (she was a primitive methodist) and an orangeman.  I do not know this was true - could be made up. 
Does anybody have any info on this.
Beryl Clampton

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dann Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 July 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
There's a Killaloe town in Co. Clare (part of Munster Province) so I'll move this thread to CLARE board.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bclampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 July 10 23:56 BST (UK) »
thank you

Offline pwaldron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 January 11 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Is the 1814 marriage record a marriage licence bond associated with the DIOCESE of Killaloe or a record from one of the churches in the TOWN of Killaloe?

The DIOCESE of Killaloe covers much of county Tipperary, where I know some Danns living around Borrisokane.  You might want to try your query in the Tipperary part of this website.

Paddy Waldron
Ballina
Killaloe

Offline bclampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 January 11 14:17 GMT (UK) »
I found the marriage of Alexander Dann and Mary Mathews m 1814 in Family Search.  I knew m;y Alexander's father and mother were Alexander and Mary.  My Alexander was born in Ireland in 1829.  He also had a brother Richard, b 1832, a Thomas b 1834 and a Rachel b 1837
As Alexander Dann is not a common name in Ireland this is as close as I can get.  I know he was as strict protestant as my gran told me he was an Orangeman.  Over here he was a strict Primitive Methodist.
Without actually going to Ireland and looking through the Church records I don't know any other way to find the information as I don't think the censuses exist.

If there is anything I can do for you in England please let me know, also Australia and New Zealand, as I am going there.

Thank you for looking.
Beryl Clampton

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 January 11 16:56 GMT (UK) »
a couple of points about that marriage record on familysearch - see link

a) The location is 'Diocese Of Killaloe, Munster Province, Ireland'. This is not the same as the town of Killaloe and if it refers to the Church of Ireland Diocese (the RC Diocese of the same name covers a slightly different area) then it includes parts of counties Clare, Limerick, Kerry, Cork and Tipperary. During the 1840s the Diocese contained just over 60 parishes.

b) the record is submitted and may not be accurate.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bclampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 January 11 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Shane

If it said Killaloe in Family Search that would presumably be the diocese.  That may account for why on just one census they put Tipperary.   Barb Chap;man in Canada has many Danns from Tipperary in her family but we cannot come up with any Alexanders.

Beryl

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 January 11 17:30 GMT (UK) »
If it said Killaloe in Family Search that would presumably be the diocese. 

the familysearch record specifically states 'Diocese Of Killaloe'

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bclampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 January 11 17:48 GMT (UK) »
I think my only solution is to visit and look at the parish records unless anybody has any other suggestions.  I have written to the Orange Order many times but they just do not answer.

Beryl